Rolling Road Session

Guest old_timbo

Guest old_timbo

Took my 2B up to Peter Baldwin's Rolling Road nr Cambridge yesterday. After a bit of tweaking 148bhp at the flywheel!! So the cam, head and inlet work, dizzy mods etc. have given a useful increase over the 115 bhp standard. Trouble is putting the air filter on dropped it by 3 bhp, and putting the bonnet on another 5bhp. So I think it is a case of a new taller air filter and a hole in the bonnet to match. Can't wait for Barkston now.

Engine spec is:- Std. 2.0l Pinto 205 block, injection head home ported as recomended by the Pinto Tuning books, 24/32 DMTL Webber, Low line ITG filter (to be junked!), heavily modified inlet manifold (as standard it is nasty), Piper 285 cam, heavily fettled RH 4:1 and silencer (stupidly noisy, got to be changed / improved). Std Cortina points dizzy modified advance curve, fully advanced at 3750 rpm.

Max power was at 5500rpm with 32deg advance.

Tim

Guest salty_monk

Sounds like a very good result for that spec.... I got 121bhp out of my first RH (99 at the wheels), same spec but without the inlet or head Mods & running on a 38 DGAS.

Dan :)

Guest alan rowe

That's where I took the V8 a couple of times Dave -- next time we get together, I'll let you have all the info

Peter Baldwin is excellent and on the first visit gave me 38bhp more

A

Guest old_timbo

I was charged for an hour which was £75 + vat, but was there for about an hour and a half. The HP figure is only a small part of what you get, there is a good stream of general advice and suggestions for improvements. For me the most important thing was the reassurance after lots of engine mods that I wasn't about to hole pistons (plugs were snowy white beforehand) and to get timing figures that suit my engine. General driveabilty was also significantly improved. Worth every penny.

Tim

Guest old_timbo

Got the carb wrong it is actually a 32/34 DMTL. I do have a bigger carb, but as it has a slightly bigger mounting flange it needs a different inlet manifold which would be much more difficult to modify. The one I used has a removable bottom so you can really get to work inside. I reconed this was more important than a couple of mil on the choke size which might have been worthless due to poor flow through the manifold anyway. Seems it was a good call.

Must admit I was suprised by the HP figure. However if the engine is 115bhp standard and Piper claim +22bhp for the cam, with the other bits an pieces of improvement I suppose it all adds up. Can't see any more power being got without spending significant money. Definately into the area of diminishing returns. So that will be it for me......................unless I can get my hands on a supercharger, and go fuel injected..........after I have installed the new bathroom for SHMBO of course :rolleyes: !!

Tim

Guest salty_monk

You want one of these... Mercedes blower! This one is on a Subaru flat four (in a plane) but I heard those & the Mini S chargers are going cheap!

Image004.jpg

Guest vacinc
out of curiosity what did the rolling road session cost you ?
i"ve another one booked for the 16th, £85. same price as last year, 12 runs on the rollers you"ll be there all day. worth every penny, you"ll drive home in a different car, lasts for about 3 weeks or one good trackday ?

Guest paul091085

I went to see Peter Baldwin with mine last year. He is a top guy and was good in explaining everything he was doing and all the adjustments he was making. Well worth every penny. Will be taking it back there again soon to get it setup after my winter mods.

I've finally managed to bring myself to book in at Dave Walker at Emerald for a proper ECU mapping session. Its £275 (ouch) but settings should last forever and if the results are anything like Richard Hall's old zetec, it'll be worth every penny.

I got a cancellation spot (currently 3 month waiting list!!) on May 19th so I'll let you know how I get on.

Guest salty_monk

On my birthday :) Hope he does a good job for you. Judging by what Longboarder paid I think your price is about par for the course.....

Dan :)

I saw Pete about 6 months and he worked wonders on my engine went from just running to one that starts first time everytime. I would recomend to anyone who needs to get their engine running how they want! :good:

• 3 months later...
Guest stevenmjcooper

I also went Sanspeed in bexleyheath,

My hood was running abit rough so booked her in 2hrs later had gained 38bhp upto 130 at the flywheel,

drives alot better,

Nice fella new what he was upto

Steve