Death And Carnage In Back Garden!

Peter Bell

Poor quality picture but looked out the kitchen window the other evening to see this sparrow hawk finishing off one of several blackbirds that visit our garden. Some blackbird chicks will go hungry but the Hawks won’t! First time I have seen one that close and hadn’t realised we had any local.

post-24-1209571620_thumb.jpg

Guest STEVE OXON

we can get anything up to a dozen red kites circling above us like vultures, especially with their 4-6 foot wing span!!

and if you go to stokenchurch just off m40 people feed them and you get 30-40 red kites thermaling round..........

Guest tom2b

I was out greenlaning on my motorbike a couple weeks ago and a sparrow hawk dropped a rabbit out of the air in front of me, quite a weird experience. A few years ago another one thought my helmet was food and tried attacking me :huh:

Here's the remains of a young pigeon breakfast from last year. I wasn't quick enough to get the camera and all that was left was feathers. Amazing how fierce a sparrow hawk can look at you. A definite 'Come on if you think you're hard enough!' look.

Nigel