Su

Guest Petemate

Guest Petemate

Now getting down to the "grubby mechanic's hands" bit. Stripped the SUs - new gasket/'O'-ring kits coming in a couple of days. Now my 'formulative' SU years were at BL in the old Marina/Oxford/1100/1300 3-litre days with the old SUs with separate floats. On my HIFs, the jet holder sits below the bridge. The PDF I've downloaded on SU tuning for the HIF mentions the initial setting for the jet as two turns down from level with the bridge. I don't think this can be right, as the holder sits so far below the bridge that the jet would have to be too proud. However, the Haynes for the Montego, while the carbs are later with cold-start devices, more accurately mentions the setting parameter from the holder rather than the bridge. When I stripped the carbs, the jets appeared to have been set from the holder rather than the bridge, which would seem to be correct. Natch, the Haynes for the SD1 simply says "set by the factory, do not adjust"!! The float settings were way out, with a level far too low - this now sorted. All gunge cleared out and waiting for the new gaskets etc. Need the ambiguity between the various instructions ironed out.

Any HIF experts out there?

TIA

Pete

Guest john

I thought I was good on SU's from my formative years, Pete, but not sure what the answer is here.

If your jet is much lower than the bridge already, has the needle been set out further to match it ?

Alternatively, I may have missed the point and be talking rubbish,sorry. :o

Guest Petemate

What it is John is this. The jet holder in the older carbs sits up level with the bridge. In the HIF, the holder is a few mm lower than the bridge. I think that the PDF I have on tuning the SU HIF has taken a bit of text out of context, ie as in the old carbs it makes reference to levelling up the jet with the bridge then adjusting down. But in the Montego Haynes, the instruction is to line the jet up to the level of the holder (which from the sectional view is the same as mine, below the bridge) so I am thinking that is the way to go. (I tried levelling the jet with the bridge then taking it two turns of the adjusting screw down and although the needle is spring-loaded up you can feel that the needle binds in the jet before the piston contacts the bridge.)

Pete

P.S. did you ever get the carb(s) back from Steve Libby?

Edited by Petemate

Guest john

Pete, if you set the needle further up in the piston, so that the shoulder is flush with the piston top, would it work then without binding first ?

Funny I was only wondering last week if I had the 1.6 carb back, as I sold the engine.

I could not find it, so am thinking it may not have come back yet. However, am prone to senior moments these days !!

When are we going to see you again ?

Guest Petemate

The needle IS flush with the piston! The spring loaded type needle has a small collar that the needle sits in and the position is dictated by the collar being flush with the piston lower face. I'll try to do a sketch later...

Pete

P.S. Can't get to the campover as I'm working this weekend. But I'm sure I'll see some of you tomorrow night, as I leave work at 1900 and will go straight to the Dewdrop on the way home. 'Ow about that?

Pete

Edited by Petemate

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Pete,

I've got a Haynes manual for the Ambassador :crazy:

This gives instructions for overhaul of the HIF 44 (single and dual carb)

I intend going to Dewdrop tomorrow & will put manual in boot now

Maybe useful maybe not :rolleyes:

Cheers

Terry