Cooling System Questions

Guest boggie

Guest paul091085

Went to my local motor factors on friday to get one of the thermostats, but tried fitting it 2day and it doesnt fit. Ive removed the baffle and cut off the mounting peg as per Northwest website. The only thing i can think of is that its not an actual Quinton Hazel one, but the guy assured me 100% that it is an exact match. Any one got any thoughts on what might be wrong??

Guest paul091085

Thanks for the reply nigel. Managed to sort it now. Have bleed all the system as per your guidance and all seems ok. On average, how long should it take to get warm? From normal operating temperature (the letter 'R' on sierra dials) to the letter 'N' it akes about 5-6 minutes. Does that seem about right? This is all whilst the car is sitting still in the drive with bonnet closed.

Engine will get up to temp in less than that but thermostat then starts to let a little flow to the rad and the temperature will hover around 80-85ish for a while as the whole cooling system comes up to temperature then it all starts getting hotter. Either the viscous fan starts pulling harder or leccy fan cuts in and increases cooling and it doesn't quite boil. When driving you have airflow through the rad and all is well. One situation is often a problem and that's pulling in to a service station after hard driving. If you switch off immediately, heat soak may make you boil. Let it run for a couple of minutes before switching off.

Nigel