No Spark Help Please

Guest sneintonmatt

Guest sneintonmatt

right then

the engine is already insitu, i bought the car as a part built so want to check the engine works before i get too much further on, bought

a rapidfit module loom fitted the ignition cables connected up everything i thought was nessacary onto the transistor module and the engine turns over fine so i know the starter motor works, but i am getting no spark and the engine just sits there, in addition to this the earth cable gets hot quite quickly as well,

dont know what to do now am despairing sadly car electrics aren't my forte,

really need some advice or if anyone local (nottingham charlton road area) some one willing to come and lend a bit of on the spot advice i will happily provide food and drink and undying gratitiude

please help

Need a bit of info before answering. What engine, what carb, what ignition system are used.

Hot earth means to skinny a cable or a high resistance point at some point. Try to locate where the cable is hottest. Battery clamp, cable to battery clamp joint, cable itself, cable to engine eye joint or engine eye. Look to clean connections, find frayed or broken strands in the cable or possibly get a new heavier cable. Always a good policy to ensure you have three heavy duty earth cables. Engine to chassis, engine to battery negative and chassis to battery negative. (Just to make sure)

Nigel

Guest sneintonmatt
Need a bit of info before answering. What engine, what carb, what ignition system are used.

Hot earth means to skinny a cable or a high resistance point at some point. Try to locate where the cable is hottest. Battery clamp, cable to battery clamp joint, cable itself, cable to engine eye joint or engine eye. Look to clean connections, find frayed or broken strands in the cable or possibly get a new heavier cable. Always a good policy to ensure you have three heavy duty earth cables. Engine to chassis, engine to battery negative and chassis to battery negative. (Just to make sure)

Nigel

well after lots of hunting i have narrowed it down to a ne block 2lt pinto running webber carb, the engine bay has the old style transistor module with the six wires coming out of it, but to be honest the wiring loom that came with the part built doesnt seem to match up as there looks like there are some larger ecu's as well not sure if i am just missing something, will try to increase the earth cables, what would you recomend attaching the earth cables to i have the old style stainless monocoque so no real chassis to attach to, thanks for the prelim help, wish i understood car electrics, sadly if it was a 30's ford no worries can set that up for whatever you desire anything after the 70''s and i just plain dont get it

Guest sneintonmatt

thanks that is exactly what i have, at least i know i am wiring that correctly, just cant work out why no spark, maybe the coil is shot?

Ignition live supply must connect to positive terminal of coil and black wire on amplifier. Test with lamp or voltmeter that you have 12v at the positive coil terminal.

To test coil, attach lead and spark plug to tower of coil and lay on metal of engine. Attach wire to neg terminal of coil and touch to earth. Should get a spark each time you lift off earth.

Nigel

Guest sneintonmatt

right ok well i will test the coil in a minute then, that will at least tell me if its working, which wires are needed to be attached to the 6 pin module just to get the car to start? for example the green wire goes to the coil but is also supposed to go to teh dash? or tacho?

basically as soon as i know the engine works i can get the rest of the work done to pass sva if not i will have to take engine out for rebuild, oh and where would you recommend the earth point on my car as i dont really have a chassis, will post some photos later on in the hope that will help

I think you need all six connected to the amplifier. Green goes to the coil negative. Its extension on to the tacho is not needed at this stage. The 2 wires to the dizzy must be connected the right way round or the won't work. Think of the stainless monocoque as being all chassis and electrically available. Bolt up where neat and convenient for earths.

Nigel

Guest sneintonmatt

ok so its not where i am earthing to thats the problem, just been out and got some new earth cables so hopefully that will solve that problem, jut tried the coil direct to the battery got sparks when touching the lead to negative at the terminal but when i took it away nothing at the end of the king lead, to be honest the battery is prob a bit flat after winding so much yesterday so put it on charge to see if that helps but not looking good for my coil, so might have to replace that. hope its that simple

thanks again for your help mate

Guest sneintonmatt

well i have tested the coil, connected the thing straight to the battery and occasionally would get a really faint spark but only intermitently, so that sounds like its knackered so looking for a new one now, do you know what model i need?

Guest sneintonmatt

well, i have replaced the coil with one that definetly works but still cant seem to get a spark when connected to the rest of the system, i think the amp is just not telling the coil to drop its spark sadly i am fully at the end of my knowledge really dont know what to do next cant seem to work out what i am missing, if there is anyone in the nottingham area that would be willing to come and give me a hand would be really appreciative

thanks

matt

• 1 month later...
Guest sneintonmatt

well i now have power to the solid state ecu thing and suddenly when i think it is all going to work the bloody starter motor won't turn over just sits clicking away to itself, not very impressed.

Guest sneintonmatt

nope thought it was that so charged battery up fully can't work it out poxy thing, it has turned over happily everytime now i think i m finally gonna get the spark cant get it to turn over.