Conversion To E-car?

Guest jwts

i didnt know they'd changed the rules on that. anyone got an old diesel? wife wont let me pour crisp and dry into the new one!

i'd be interested to know from any of our law enforcement friends if they have ever heard of anyone being stopped and having their tanks dipped if officers suspected they were using cooking oil illegally in the past. (the smell of chips is a give away!)

environmentally you can tick all the boxes if you can find a source of used oil. used cooking oil however has a number of contaminants in its initial state though they can be fairly easily removed. however i suspect that small scale sources of used oil are becoming rare as more and more people find out about this and the fuel hikes increase.

the big potential in this is in those industries that use lots of oil in the production of their products. several food companies that we are working with are looking at the possibility of using their own waste oil in their fleet of vans and trucks.

Guest Jabberwocky

Has anyone considered that if everyone converted to Electric cars then there will be a lot more pollution / waste from electric power stations. You don't get anything for nothing.

Can You LPG carbed engines? or would you have to stop and retune them when you swap fuels over?

Guest Mike Perry

You can def LPG carb engines including having them with the fuel switchable on the move. A guy at our office has done his own conversion on a highly tweeked Rover V8 running SU carbs. I think he's got approx 350+BHP. That thing really goes.

Guest timswait
Would it make much difference in a shunt if it was in the boot or on the back?

Yes, I think it would. The 2B has a fairly substantial piece of steel tube around the boot lip which I think provides some protection.

Guest salty_monk

Depends how it was built I guess... you could build your own shunt frame around the back of it!

If all cars were electric there would be more power station pollution but power stations run a lot more efficiently than Cars plus their is more option to use non polluting sources (or at least non smog inducing sources) such as nuclear or even hydro, thermal, gas, wind etc

Dan :)

:huh: The biggest problem with an electric car (besides weight & cost of battery pack) is the number of times the energy is converted to another form---oil (or nunk or wind) to 400K transmission lines to sub-station to home to battery charger to chemical store in battery to electricity to torque at motor to road wheels. If all conversions were 60% efficient (which most aren't) 100% oil energy would become around 10% motive power. But then we are all going to hell on a hand-cart (if you believe the greenies) so enjoy the ride while you can. Regards Bob B)