Spraying With Cans

Guest paul_wilts

Guest paul_wilts

has anybody sprayed there bits with normal cans? the gel colouring on my S& has sort of faded and its around £300 to get the 5 parts done, i had a trial run with bottom of the nose and to be honest with a little time and preperation it seems to give a good finish....

comments welcomed!

Sure, go for it.

I actually find it easier to get a good finish with a can, especially when you can't afford a decent spray gun. The paint just works out a shed load more expensive using cans, that's all.

How old is your GRP? If you're not right through the gel coat, you could try polishing it with some G10.

Guest paul_wilts

spose the actual parts are around 14years old!!! the car was registered in 96 so the bits may of been sat up for a long time maybe in the sun.

the gel coat has gone a sort of orangy colour, i did try giving it a good polish but i tryed a few small bits yeterday in ford 'radiant red' and it comes up perfect, im even tempted to take a fibreglass mould and make a new nose as a spare before i spray it.

your right that it does wor out alot more though!

I've had good results with tins. I did my S7 fibreglass bits with sme of this new acrylic stuff. It is OK but it doesn't look gloss at first and takes quite a bit of polishing (must finish doing that). The older glosses didn't need much if your prep work is up to scratch (they were probably full of poisonous stuff though). Why is it that all the stuff that does the job best is poisonous (cyano-acrylate paints, asbestos brakes etc, etc).

One tip I would pass along though is that the cans give much better performance if they are warm. Do this very carefully by sitting them in warm (not hot) water before you use them. You can also get "trigger" handles for aerosols which I personally think are worth their weight in stainless ;) .

Iain

Guest MikeD318

Cans of paint aren't expensive if you buy them from the market or boot sales. There are loads of traders doing this sort of thing now and I got 12x500ml cans of paint for £20. Pretty good considering at Halfords 300ml cans cost £5 each! I rekon most stalls will have Ford radient red or something similar.

:D havent seen it about for ages but the more sesoned members may recall it

there used to be a car paint that was a brush on...i jest not when i was 17 the next door neibour painted his princess with it and it looked very good :unsure:

Guest Phil in Cheshire

Its still around, its called repaint. Colours are basic Black, White, Red, Green, Blue and Yellow. With lots of preperation and realy good brushes you can get a very good finish with a realy high gloss. My local paint and body panel shop stock it.

Phil

PS For 45 quid you can buy an airless spray gun from B&Q These give realy good results with cellulose, and after you can use it to creosoat the fence