Pinto No Joy Yet

Guest IDS

Ian.

I have just read your reply again and see you mention pin 40 going to earth, I think from memory pins 20 and 60 do as well,I also think there are at least another one or maybe two more earth wires on the EEC1V.

Danny

Hi Danny

Well I managed to get some time out there today. After checking I found that the connections were not too good between the D plugs (thanks for the tip) & now I have NOID light flashing on cranking ^_^ So, fitted everything back & tried starting, no fire up, checked the plugs and I'm getting fuel. So I have fuel and sparks at plugs. If I leave the engine 20 mins when I try to start I get the engine starting to catch, if you know what I mean, but after that the engine just turns over. Now I know from my first kit car that I had the timing out I'm hoping it might be timing.

Anyone know the best method for stting the timing?

I'll keep trying :rolleyes:

Ian

Guest MacMustang
Hi Danny

Well I managed to get some time out there today. After checking I found that the connections were not too good between the D plugs (thanks for the tip) & now I have NOID light flashing on cranking ^_^ So, fitted everything back & tried starting, no fire up, checked the plugs and I'm getting fuel. So I have fuel and sparks at plugs. If I leave the engine 20 mins when I try to start I get the engine starting to catch, if you know what I mean, but after that the engine just turns over. Now I know from my first kit car that I had the timing out I'm hoping it might be timing.

Anyone know the best method for stting the timing?

I'll keep trying :rolleyes:

Ian

Did the engine come from a running car? Have you changed the CAM belt? The guy I bought my RH from had similar problems to yours. He got a mobile tuner to come and have a look. He noticed that the CAM belt had been put on one tooth out which meant that the timing had to be set to full retard/advance (can't remember which). Once the CAM belt was put back on correctly everything was ok and the timing was returned to normal.

If you've changed the CAM belt just make sure it's back on correctly... tdc etc etc. Might not be the problem but worth checking (before you bend your valves).

Loosen the dizzy clamp bolt and have some one rotate the dizzy slightly whilst you turn the engine over. You should hear immediately a change in the engine either wanting to fire, or getting worse, as the case may be. you need a timing light to get it accurate, but it should tell you at least whether it is the timing that's out, and you should be able to get it running this way if it is. B)

Loosen the dizzy clamp bolt and have some one rotate the dizzy slightly whilst you turn the engine over. You should hear immediately a change in the engine either wanting to fire, or getting worse, as the case may be. you need a timing light to get it accurate, but it should tell you at least whether it is the timing that's out, and you should be able to get it running this way if it is. B)

Engine running at last.............................Thanks to all that came up with suggestions. It was a combination of loose D plugs and not having the timing near. I checked I had TDC with the cam cover off & then turned the dizzy until the fuel pump switched on. Turned the key & started first time. Unfortunaly I did have the plastic segment break on the throttle cable linkage, probably old brittle plastic. Anyone know I good internet source for Ford Sierra bits?