How Slow Is Your Broadband

miikae

Guest graham dockerill
:mellow: That was interesting, I was on ntl cable and have now charged to sky through the phone socket. What a nightmare, try playing online pocker with a intermitent connection, the test said 0.7 mb/s

Guest Quarks7

Mine came back at 1.3mb :D

However I only recently switched from dial up so it feels like greased lightning to me and it's only £4.50 a month so can't realy complain!

Guest minty

I'm out in the country and have apparantly 3.1 - I think I too pay for "up to 8mb" ..... BT Option1 ..........I suppose it qualifies as OK on that basis. Certainly seems quick enough to me and my lad watches so much NBA basketball we recently had a 26 pence surcharge for excess volume download over a 3 month period - then they doubled what we could download at no cost! :D

I live in the sticks and today the suns out it must be drying out the con boxes , this seems to makes a lot of differance as mine has shot up to a max of 4.5Mbs at one point this afternoon an its approx 4.8Mbs this evening , there are approx 650 lines on our garage type exchange and i am at the furthest point from it .

Mike

I get a whopping 0.7Meg - but I'm paying for 'up to' 2Meg thanks largely to our phone line coming from some outdated exchange in the next village, rather than Tamworth (surely the hub of the internet)

I think they must be using one of these

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u289/ri...6/Exchange1.gif

Still, musn't grumble. For really fast internet, there's always the one at work.

One question remains thought.

Did the bloke that sold me my internet deal offer his wife 'up to' 12"?

Guest MacMustang

I pay for upto 16Mb and get 3Mb... it's all to do with the distance your house is from the exchange and the quality of the copper and connections in between.

If you want to find out what exchange you're connected to goto http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php and enter your postcode. You can then use that to judge a rough distance from the exchange. As the cables don't stretch as the crow flies it's only a rough guess but gives you an idea. This site also tells you what services are available on your exchange.