2.0 Xe

Guest paul091085

Guest paul091085

Altho its not robin hood related as such, i know there are people on here that have this engine in their hoods. Basically, i have a 2.0 xe. The engine has no faults, idle is fine, revs fine when stationary, but when driven under load i get a raspy sound from under the bonnet, but it doesnt sound like pinking.

Does anyone know what might be causing it?

Paul

Guest paul091085

Hi all,

I hope you don't mind the question... I'm Paul's twin. He kindly posted the question for me!

I really appreciate your help and advice!!

Basically...

The car is used for track days, its a dreaded Nova with a C20XE conversion. I was using the car everyday without hick-up, and i think I jinxed myself at the weeken when I said it'd never let me down... As Sunday night on my way back to Coventry where I work, it started to make an odd raspy sound as you accelerated (under load). I sounds like iron fillings or similar being poured through the intake... Then it started to missfire then died... After no luck trying to sort the problem, the AA trailored me home :( Where i wired uo the engine management light, and flashed off the fault codes. The part at fault was the Hall Effect Sensor.

Replaced the Dizzy, and now there's not faults logged and the car runs and idles fine, it will rev when stationary fine, with now raspy sound... But, as soon as you drive it its there.

Originally i thoguht it was pinking, but knock sensors and crank sensors are fine so should be. I didnt drive the car back as i didn't want to damage the engine. The exhaust is naturally raspy, but this is an odd new sound, so I know something is at fault!

Any help and advice would really re appreciated!!

Chris

Guest paul091085
what type of rasping sound? Does it get louder with more throttle? check leaky axhaust manifold.....

Yes, sorry it does indeed get louder with more throttle. Would a leaking ex manifold gasket cause it to make the sound when rev'd at stationary?

Someone has also said check the intake gasket... I was going to change the sump gasket this weekend, as i have a small leak and you need to remove the exhaust manifold to get to it. so it will have a new ex gasket fitted.

Blipping the throttle at rest wont generate as much exhaust as revving with high throttle under load.

A small exhaust gasket leak may not show when stationery.

But the symptoms do sound "pinky"....borrow an adjustable strobe & check correct working of the advance curve.

It may be that the knock sensor cant trigger enough retard to fix a problem with the ECU advance.

Pull the plugs & check for signs of detonation.....the plug will feel very rough & have small "bobbles" of metal all over it.

Unfortunately I know exactly what these look like, but dont have any knackered plugs to photo & post.

Bob