Brakes Going On Tickover

Guest Alasdair

Guest Alasdair

Hi,

For a while now I have noticed that when I hold the car on the foot brake on tickover for a minute or so the pedal will slowly travel towards the floor. No problem as one pump and it's at the top of travel again. But this morning I was on the overrun down a long hill and when I arrived at the queue of traffic at the bottm the pedal went all the way to the floor. A quick pump and all was well again.

The fluid level is good so I guess this has something do do with the vacuum servo but I have no idea how that works or what to look for.

Any ideas

Thanks

Alasdair

It sounds more like a fluid leak to me, even if the servo became disconnected, you should still be able to use the brakes. If you are not loosing any fluid then it could be that the master cylinder seals are leaking.

Unbolt the master cylinder from the servo and pull gently apart, if there is any fluid leak you will see it in the servo.

There is usually a little line of fluid and lost paint on the servo drum.

Guest nightracer35
Thanks guys, New seals and/or master cylinder then.

Alasdair

hiya,its not too expensive for a new cylinder, i just bought a new 1 as nine also leaked,ron

Guest Alasdair
hiya,its not too expensive for a new cylinder, i just bought a new 1 as nine also leaked,ron

Well, they're doing it today at the local garage (looks like an establishment from "Foyle's War"). New master cyclinder and one slave cylinder, all in quote was £200. I have no idea if that is OK or not but it has to be done as I hope to sell it next weekend and failing brakes is not likely to make a good impression.

Thanks everyone