Fuel Hose Warning

miikae

Today we decided to tune the carbs , ran the engine up to temp then lifted the bonnet my son noticed that the new SS braided fuel hose i had fitted last year was leaking near the filter king fuel outlet , on further inspection after taking the pipe off and removing the braid we found it had perrished over a 50mm length , so all the other braided pipes where removed as a precaution , fortunatly we didnt take it for a drive first to warm her otherwise it may have been be a different story this evening .

The pipe in question was bought from wrightsupplier30yr (wrights hose clips ltd)(wrightsautosupplies.com) on ebay in march 2007

, they have been informed about this but no reply a yet , so if anyone has bought any please check that your pipes are all ok .

The rubber pipe is not very thick and only a single pipe not re-enforced double layer pipe .

Mike

I have just spoken to Wrights and they are looking into this one together with the manufacturer , however it was rated for injection systems so this should certainly not have happened , they are replacing all the pipe i bought from them in March 2007 ,

they where very understanding and appreciated me letting them know about his matter .

Mike

Unless consumers complain more when things go wrong, the quality of goods gets poorer and poorer. The odd thing is, is that when you do complain you normally get a free replacement and other things as an apology! not sure why more people do not complain.

Guest timswait

Any possibility of battery acid leaking onto it? I had a piece of standard rubber hose for fuel injection bought from a motyor factors that perished very badly after less than a year. This was routed under the battery tray and I reckon was the poor quality battery I had at the time leaking onto it (there were also stains on the stainless indicating this).

The pipe in question does an S bend past the oil catch tank and i was wondering if oil fumes could have caused it to perrish as its that bend where the fault was , although not too close to the filter , it can just be seen in a couple of pics in my garage , the battery is a sealed for life jobbie so no leaks there plus its away from it Tim .

Yes Mat i totally agree with you always complain if you are not happy , if it gets sorted your happy if not you dont buy from them again simple as that , plus i did mention to the lady i spoke to (Mrs Wright i think who remembered my address as i had bought other stainless bits from them in the past ) that i had posted a warning on a club web site and she understood the concerns .

It was only this pipe that had problems as the main feed from the facet to the filter king seemed ok together with the carb to carb feed pipe mind you they are both straight , so maybe the bends may be the problem here i just dont really know as yet as i am awaiting an answer on this bend problem if there is one from the manufactures tech dept , should know the answer tomorrow .

Anyway Webbers got mixture set up and balanced in the end and Piper socks disgarded as not too happy with them so running commando now .

Mike

Replacement 1 mtr of new 5/16" SS braided fuel pipe arrived this morning , now just waiting for the full spec from the manufactures before i fit it .

So very quick service from Wrights so i am happy with there service .

Mike

Weekend before SVA Gavinc notice fuel leaking from the so called braided fuel hoses that i fitted, they were all leaking from everywere, i had some more braided hose that i bought from Stoneliegh but decided to use the proper marked rubber stuff from a motor factor, SVA compiant and as i can't see them under the carbs and the Pipercross i think they may stay.

Guest Giggling_Buffoon

Had something similar happen on my superspec and I know of at least one other person who's suffered the same problem.

Key thing is to make sure that the pipe is suitable for unleaded petrol, as apparently its more 'aggressive' on rubber hose than leaded or LRP (the braided fuel hose that RH supplied on all superspecs should be binned as its only suitable for leaded or LRP applications).

If its suitable for unleaded then underneath the braid the rubber pipe will be marked 'UNLEADED' - however best solution is to get fuel pipe thats not braided, as you can then see the 'UNLEADED' pipe marking, and you stand a better chance of spotting when its giving up.

That's a good point unleaded as when i stripped the braid off there was no markings on the rubber pipe what so ever, but i found some petrol pipe that had the correct markings on (ex Porsche stuff ) it that was double walled reinforced and then just added the SS braid to it on the straight main feed pipe , the others i have not got around to doing as yet and i may not even bother as at least they can be checked easier without the braid .

Sounds like there is a lot of wrong rubber pipe being used under the braid seeing as how its not marked , rogue traders or what eh .

Where's Mat Alright when you want him :)

Mike

Guest TerryBarry
Where Mat Alright when you want him :)

Mike

He's got a new programme on now "Rogue Restaurants" _ dishing the dirt tonight on the Harvester chain :wacko: :shok: