Spare Wheel

Guest DROID

Me again Folks,

The screwed rod for holding the spare wheel, any prefered way of attaching it the car?? Don't remember seeing it on the videos.

Thanks

Andy..........

Just a thought - Richard suggests leaving the wheel off for the SVA. It's not a legal requirement, but if it's there they will check it for sharp edges etc.

I'm planning on leaving everything off that doesn't have to be there to avoid complications.

Colin

Don't forget to add the ply to the back of the rear panel.

The ply is referred to somewhere in my build video's but I did the same as Paul Mercer by the sounds of it.

I also bought a length of threaded bar the same thread as the wheel studs and used one of the pretty chrome nuts from a Capri I killed for a 2.1. I used one of the huge washers from the top of the mcpherson strut (the one you see under the Sierra bonnet) in the centre of the wheel held on by the wheel nut to actually secure the thing. Looks pretty and I only need the wheel-brace to remove the spare as it is the same sort of nut as the wheels are held on with. I could also at a push replace a lost wheel nut and get home with the spare in the passenger seat.

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy, why bother. I use no sparewheel at all. To be on the save side I have a so called ""homecomer"" in the back above the tank. It is the sparewheel from a Saab 900. They are made until 1993. Greetings Joop

hi I use the screwed rod only as a means of holding the wheel to the car.

The weight of the wheel is taken by a block of wood about 3" thick and about 6" long which is shaped to the inner radius of the alloy wheel. This is fastened through the back panel with a stiffener on the inside and the wheel rests on this.

The car was originally fitted with just the stud and over aperiod of time it started to elongate the hole in the wheel so aquick fix was needed.

swan