Newbie Needs Help!

Guest Welsh_S7

Guest Welsh_S7

Hi,

Having just bought my first Robin Hood, I thought I'd join up and ask a few questions that I need answering!

I've bought a stunning S7 powered by a 2-litre pinto. I have to admit I'm rather disappointed with the performance of the engine, so have a feeling that she's not running right and wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction of what things I should be looking at to improve performance.

I know the pinto has a fast road cam and its running on twin-40 dellarto carbs. I've had a look at the carb filters and they are pretty dirty so some new filters is definately on the agenda - can anyone recommend some good filters?

The car has a tendancy to start "kangarooing" like it has a learner-driver behind the wheel when I'm only slightly on the throttle. I've been told this could be due to the engine having a fast road cam or maybe the timing is out?

I've also been told it would be worth getting the carbs balanced.

Any experts out there who can shine some light on these issues?

Cheers,

Justin

Hi Justin,

the pinto can & does run pretty well with a hot cam & twin 40s.

Kangarooing is unlikley to be caused by the cam or the ignition timing.

If the timing is over advanced you get pinking, if its retared you lose power, but the engine will remain smooth.

Unless its a full race or rally cam, it may make it sounds rough at tickover, but it will smooth out from 2000 revs upwards.

Most likley cause is wrong fuel mixture. The 40s have a fair number of jets, and changing any one can mean changing others.

Id suggest stripping them & cleaning out any crud & blowing thru the jets. Make a note of the jet numbers & post the results here.

We can then tell you if they are "about right". To get them spot on you really need a rolling road session, but leave that for later.

Cost will be about £100.

Bob

Guest Welsh_S7
Hi Justin,

the pinto can & does run pretty well with a hot cam & twin 40s.

Kangarooing is unlikley to be caused by the cam or the ignition timing.

If the timing is over advanced you get pinking, if its retared you lose power, but the engine will remain smooth.

Unless its a full race or rally cam, it may make it sounds rough at tickover, but it will smooth out from 2000 revs upwards.

Most likley cause is wrong fuel mixture. The 40s have a fair number of jets, and changing any one can mean changing others.

Id suggest stripping them & cleaning out any crud & blowing thru the jets. Make a note of the jet numbers & post the results here.

We can then tell you if they are "about right". To get them spot on you really need a rolling road session, but leave that for later.

Cost will be about £100.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for your reply, I'll get under the bonnet this weekend and give the jets a good cleaning as suggested and post the jet numbers!

Cheers,

Justin