Physical Dimensions Of Exmo - Help!

Guest philk

I am collecting an EXMO on Sunday and at present attempting to dig a hole in the garage to fit it in , I seem to remember maximum width being 6ft but cannot find the length anywhere and the seller is currently visiting France.

Also need Weather gear which manufacturer can supply for £370 but have seen it for sale new on ebay for £300 buy it now , claiming to be same kits has anyone tried these.

I am collecting an EXMO on Sunday and at present attempting to dig a hole in the garage to fit it in , I seem to remember maximum width being 6ft but cannot find the length anywhere and the seller is currently visiting France.

Also need Weather gear which manufacturer can supply for £370 but have seen it for sale new on ebay for £300 buy it now , claiming to be same kits has anyone tried these.

Phil,

I don't have an Exmo but my SuperSpec is approx 13' long.

John (jwts).

Guest chris brown

I would hang back on the weather gear until you have the car and can measure it up because if the original builder didn’t fit a hood the chances are it will be the wrong length (top of screen to rear of boot) and the screen may have to be moved. In any case if you have followed this site for any length of time you will realise the numbers are about split evenly between those who prefer a surrey and those that prefer the hood. I for one found the hood very claustrophobic so use the surrey and side screens all year round.

I would hang back on the weather gear until you have the car and can measure it up because if the original builder didn’t fit a hood the chances are it will be the wrong length (top of screen to rear of boot) and the screen may have to be moved. In any case if you have followed this site for any length of time you will realise the numbers are about split evenly between those who prefer a surrey and those that prefer the hood. I for one found the hood very claustrophobic so use the surrey and side screens all year round.

Thanks for the advise - totally new to kit cars , finally been knocked off my motorbike once to often (turning left and hit from behind at about 50mph -bike and car total loss). Everyone tells me 7s are next thing to a bike so giving it a try .

Afraid I am totally ignorant regarding the difference between hood and surrey (just want to keep the rain out and still be able to climb in)

Guest cooperman

My Exmo is 5'6 at the rear wheel arches 12'6 from the end of the nose cone to the end of the spare wheel

Before you part with your readies, I would strongly recommend you ensure it is registered as a Robin Hood (Exmo) on the V5 document (log book)

As far as wet weather gear is concerned, you can search this site for pictures of Surrey Tops or look here : http://www.softbitsforsevens.co.uk to get an idea

I too find the hood claustrophobic but dont use my car for everyday needs - this is not something you need to rush into I dont think

HTH

Ian

My Exmo is 5'6 at the rear wheel arches 12'6 from the end of the nose cone to the end of the spare wheel

Before you part with your readies, I would strongly recommend you ensure it is registered as a Robin Hood (Exmo) on the V5 document (log book)

As far as wet weather gear is concerned, you can search this site for pictures of Surrey Tops or look here : http://www.softbitsforsevens.co.uk to get an idea

I too find the hood claustrophobic but dont use my car for everyday needs - this is not something you need to rush into I dont think

HTH

Ian

The log book is the one thing I haven't checked yet , buying off ebay but the guy is away until weekend , its registerd on a "C" plate but was build and SVA in 1997 , now has a 2 litre injected Zetec fitted . When I insured it I tried to give them exact spec but just seemed to want the model , year , and engine size . If not registered as Robin Hood on the V5 is that a major issue , obviously a problem if still has all details of donor car.

Guest chris brown
If not registered as Robin Hood on the V5 is that a major issue , obviously a problem if still has all details of donor car.
Yes I'm afraid it is and would require a SVA to make it legal. The problem is it was on the road before SVA came into force so only required a MoT. People tended not to bother about changing the V5. There was an amnesty in force for a couple of years 02 - 04 or there abouts. With the computerised MoT you can no longer get away (unless the tester is willing to lie) with a car that is wrongly described.

Yes I'm afraid it is and would require a SVA to make it legal. The problem is it was on the road before SVA came into force so only required a MoT. People tended not to bother about changing the V5. There was an amnesty in force for a couple of years 02 - 04 or there abouts. With the computerised MoT you can no longer get away (unless the tester is willing to lie) with a car that is wrongly described.

Checked with DVLA today by giving them the reg - it came back as Robin Hood , a good start , but engine is currently down as 1593cc , to change they tell need need details of new engine size+ engine number plus the original receipt for engine and proof that fitted to car . So assuming he has the receipt should not be too big an issue.

Thanks for the advise it has been very helpful , hopefully once I have the car any questions raised will more sensible.