Engine Out

Guest rizla

:huh: ok having not built my s7 i need to pose a question

im going to change my 1700 x-flow for a rs turbo engine do you take the engine out on its own or connected to the gearbox

ps is it as much agro as i think ie a bit of a shuffle :rolleyes:

Guest Angel Boy

I have done both and a Mat has said both have there problems. I am not sure how much room there is the S7 as I have a 2B. I know it was a bit of a pig trying to get the gearbox to line up with the engine during refitting though. :gdit:

If you take the gearbox out remember to put a bag over the end of the output to catch the oil when it tips up. ;)

Andy

Guest Andy Rathbone

if you where as tight as me and didnt throw anything away, when you pull your prop shaft out of the grrr box stick the rubber doughnut bit back in, it realy does save the mess.

As for splitting and lifting i would say its easier to split the engine and box and lift seperately. i ran my engine then had to change the leaking core plugs (bu**er)so i didnt need to remove the box.

splitting them may just save you a hernia ;)

stick the rubber doughnut bit back in, it realy does save the mess.

Bloody hell Andy, have still got the rubber doughnut? you need to get rid of that sharpish!!

They are very prone to perishing, then splitting and it makes an awfull mess of the car with a propshaft thrashing around. In fact it can be bloody dangerous!! I kid you not!!

You may have to either order a propshaft from RHSC, or even get a standard one from the scrappy shortened, but make it a priority.

if you where as tight as me and didnt throw anything away

Jim you did'nt read the begining of the sentence,

I think Andy meant,the doughnut bit was kicking about in his garage!!!!!!!

Cheers Ian

:D :D

Guest Andy Rathbone

Ianz, you are quite correct i still have the rubber doughnut end of the prop shaft kicking about the garage, i have got the solid propshaft as supplied with my 2b plus may 2000 kit. dont panic Jim, dont panic.

i have a spare doughnut on doner number 2 if anyone needs an emergency gear box plug your quite welcome. :D

Guest TerryBarry

I used the old doughnut end as a plug whilst getting the engine / gearbox out of Sierra and general handling of gearbox.

However snag is the dumb device won't fit through the gap in the 2B chassis when installing engine / gearbox.

I used plastic bag bound and carefully taped over end of extension shaft but still ended up with smelly oil on floor of 2B and garage :boohoo:

Terry

Guest Andy Rathbone

oh yeh, you spoil sport Terry, i was going to leave that for Rizla to discover :p . i actually drained the gearbox oil out of mine whilst the major moving about was done and i still managed to get stinking gearbox oil all over the garage floor. Well better there than in your hair!(another story, diffrent car) have fun with your grrrbox Rizla, my most valuable piece of advice, spoken by the man himself Richard Stewart "You need to get one of your chums to help you with this bit its quite awrkward". Think along the lines of the Haynes Manuals' SIMPLY REMOVE! :blink:

Edited by Big Jim

Guest gordon_macnab

I removed the engine and box from my sub K last night and it's pretty easy and came out no bother at all, I definately wouldn't split the engine and box

Gordon

Guest paul thompson

Weel just to add oil to the fire, I had a problem getting my engine in my 2B with the gear box attached, and the crank pulley was on so tight (my fault) that I broke my puller trying to get it off. I had spent 2 hrs with help and a crane trying to get them in together. I split the box and engine, laid the box in situ not fixed just laying there, Craned the engine straight down without engine mounts, the gearbox fell onto the egine with a bit of wiggling, 2 bolts to hold it together, and added the engine mounts, and hey presto, 15 mins later all the box bolts were in place torqued up and the engine mounts sitting where they were supposed to be and I was drilling the floor for the gearbox mounts. Now why didn't I try that first!!! If face with the same thing again, I'd split them but remove the gearbox mount so that it is free to line up with the engine while trying to recouple.

:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

something along similar lines that i was wonderin about, i am buildin a 2b and there aint much space under the bonnet (not fitted yet!!)

how would you get the engine/ + gearbox out past the exhaust fannymould (4 in 2 1) and if needed how would you get the fannymould off and out when the side pannels are fitted??? - sooo many questions... :wacko: :blink: :wacko: