Speed Cameras

Guest Mike Perry

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now now Billy, in areas where police forces take revenue (hypothecation) from cameras (denoted by yellow marking) speed cameras are placed in areas where it is proven that excessive speed is the major causation for injury accidents. The revenue taken can only be used to fund more cameras.

We all (me included) think that we are sharp and perceptve enough to stop safely and in time. The fact is sometimes, we arn't. Ever driven down a piece of road for a few miles and then thought, 'How did I get here, I don't remember?' It's called being unconciously competent. The fact is in an emergency you wouldn't stop.

I enjoy the thrill of speed like anyone else, but it needs to be done in the appropriate places, not built up areas or congested roads, which is where the majority of cameras are placed. I have fallen foul of speed cameras like many people (they don't discriminate), but frankly find it hard to argue against them.

That should start an intersting thread! :huh:

speed cameras are placed in areas where it is proven that excessive speed is the major causation for injury accidents.

*bleep*s,

:gdit: If they were all placed in accident blackspot's,outside schools,and in built up areas. then it whould be a good thing, but the 8 (at least 8 i have seen could be more) new ones that have just been put up in Blackburn are there for the money.

In fact one of them is in the middle of the industrial estate i work 150 yrds from the main police station (really bad spot for speeding :blink: ).

but the best one i have seen has just had a bloody big speed hump put in front and has had its speed cut to 20mph :blink: anyone going over the limit would lose there sump in a shogun never mind anything else.

In fact come to think of it all the new cameras are on roads surronded by new 20mph zones, on which is supposed to be the new ring road aroud the town.

I agree with the 20mph zones for side streets,but cameras need to be in areas that have problems, not placed every 500yds.

Saying that a guy at work whos son is a Copper, was warned that the mobile unit was going to be on a road that he uses frequently, and be careful.

Yes he was zapped :boohoo: and rang his son to see if he could "do anything" to sort it.

Son replyed "no and asked why he never listend in the first place" but he could do something himself, with great joy he asked what (thinking he was about to be told a loophole).

"Bloody slow down and you won't get caught in future" :D :wacko:

Too right.

Black spot cameras I agree with, but one has been placed opposite the end of my road. It is about two thirds the way down a hill, just the right place for some to have coasted over the limit.

I've been in my house for 5 years now and to my knowledge there has never been an accident there. Very few pedestrians use the road and the houses are widely spaced. Cash can be the only reason for it.

One in another stupid place has been torched. There seems to be a mounting backlash against them, maybe the powers that be will take notice and stop using them as tax collectors and get back to the safety role.

Anyone see Top Gears feature? On over a hundred miles of the most dangerous roads there are (I think) only 5 cameras.

Ah, speed cameras, one of my most hated things in the world.

It's quite simple. Cameras = Cash! They're not for safety reasons at all.

Take a look at Autocar for their comments on speed cameras, and the campaign they have started to get more real policemen back on the roads, and to stop local authorities from relying solely on speed cameras.

Some facts on the 10 most dangerous roads in Britain, from 1999 to 2001.

1) Total number of fatal and serious accidents = 247

2) Total length of these roads = 137 miles

3) Total number of speed cameras on these roads = 4

Make sense? I don't think so.

There is an arguement developing that speed cameras are actually costing peoples lives, not saving them.

Many police forces have drastically cut back their traffic police patrols becuase of the rise of speed cameras. Between 1996 and 2001, warnings given out by real policemen have more than halved. In the same time period, the number of vehicle defect notifications has also more than halved. This means that there could now be 100,000 more un-roadworthy cars *per year*, on the road, than before 1996. Just ask yourself. When was the last time you saw an marked police car on a A or B road. I can't remember, it was that long ago!

Since 1996 reports of dangerous driving (not speeding) have dropped by more than 50,000 per year. Now we would all like to think that people are not driving dangerously anymore, but I think we all know that unfortunately, that's not the case. Autocar interviewed one "serial traffic offender", and he was quoted as saying:

"I've got a warning device, so I know where the speed cameras are, and I can bank on the fact that there won't be any cops about, so now I do what I like..."

When you're stopped for speeding by a real policeman, in some cases, it really makes a difference to how you drive from them on. This has definitely happened to me. Getting a speeding ticket through the post doesn't have the same impact. Over the years, if only one person changed their driving habits, and that saved a single life, isn't that worth more than all the revenue raised by speed cameras?

The figures speak for themselves. Since 1996, when cameras were introduced, the number of people per year caught speeding by speed cameras has gone up from 270,000 to 1,100,000. In the same time, the number of fatal road accidents per year has gone from 3598 to 3450. At the same time, there are more and more cars with ABD, EBD, air-bags, etc. etc. so this must also contribute towards the lower number of fatalaties. If speed cameras were all about safety, wouldn't you expect this figure to be much lower?

Rant over!

Steve (who's never been caught by a speed camera, so this isn't sour grapes!)

Guest Battery Bill
ROFL!

Call me thick but what does that mean? :unsure:

I'd hope that he'd keep that sort of thing private, I for one don't want to know

Not that type of wood, :wub:

the number of vehicle defect notifications has also more than halved
:gdit:

Now you are really talking....I am really sick of the number of cars driving around with 1 headlight stuck on full beam pointing straight at oncoming traffic (i.e. me!) and the other headlight off

There are so many cars with faulty headlights...which means probably NO mot NO tax and NO insurance

The reason...the fine is less than insurance so why bother? :angry:

Dave

PS I don't know what ROFL means either :(