Reversed Fuel Gauge

Guest jwts

I have a 2004 SuperSpec kit with the 3 connection fuel tank.

I have connected up the instrument cluster and find the fuel gauge reads reversed (it reads full when it is empty).

Is there a simple solution to this like swaping the brown and white wires in the pic below

post-2794-1222857932_thumb.jpg

or is it possible to swap wires around on the fuel gauge itself?

Regards,

John (jwts)

Guest rhetorical-oracle

Hi John,

I found that on my fuel sender, which looks slightly different to yours, that it worked by altering a sliding resistor bar ctuated by the float arm inside the tank. I fixed it my unsoldering the white wire from 1 end of the resistor bar and soldering it to the other, thus altering the resistance so it measure the opposite way around. This fixed it so the gauge reads the right way.

Phill

Hi John,

I found that on my fuel sender, which looks slightly different to yours, that it worked by altering a sliding resistor bar ctuated by the float arm inside the tank. I fixed it my unsoldering the white wire from 1 end of the resistor bar and soldering it to the other, thus altering the resistance so it measure the opposite way around. This fixed it so the gauge reads the right way.

Phill

Phill,

Is it possible to get the sender unit out? Mine keeps getting jammed and the sharp edges on the access hole threaten to cut through the wiring insulation.

John.

Guest chris brown
Phill,

Is it possible to get the sender unit out? Mine keeps getting jammed and the sharp edges on the access hole threaten to cut through the wiring insulation.

John.

It went in so must come out just be careful and you’ll get it out.

European gauges read 10 ohms empty 180 full and USA gauges read 240 empty 33 full, i think the old sierra senders we have are old ford stock and run 240 to 33, re wiring may work as long as the earth is not earthed through the sender body if so you would create a short circuit.

With my sender i may have to isolate the two metal bars that clamp it down to the rubber seal.

MNext job once i have cured the MegaJolt problems.

One side of the sender in the tank is earthed so reversal of wiring does not work... ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

At my SVA the tester Dave thought it was quite cool to have the gauge backwards.

I know some people have extracted and revesred the arm but mine is backwards and is quite accurate so 1/4 full registers a 1/4 empty..

Enjoy....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: