Dead Fuel Pump

Guest jwts

Hi,

The fuel pump in my SuperSpec is dead. I think it has seized due to corrosion after sitting in a damp garage for nearly four years.

The part number on it is

1S7U-0350-B1A (the B1A is suspect since it is overwritten with printed XXXX)

Assuming the whole number is correct it was originally for a Ford Mondeo V6 circa 95-99. A new pump/sender assembly for this engine will cost about £105 from Partco.

Here are some pics:

post-2794-1224022061_thumb.jpg post-2794-1224022131_thumb.jpg

Do I have to replace it with the exact model or can I substitute another similar pump? It doesn’t fit in a clip or bracket; it just hangs in the tank by a piece of flexible fuel pipe.

If I can substitute another pump how do I choose one? There are hundreds on the FuelParts site alone. I don’t understand why there are so many, surely all a pump has to do is be able to deliver a certain amount of fuel per minute and generate a certain pressure, so why so many shapes and sizes?

Does anyone know what fuel delivery spec and what pressure a Rover 2ltr T-series engine needs? The pump fitted was spec'd for a V6 Ford so it wasn't what the Rover designers had in mind.

Ideas, suggestions, recommendations, etc, gratefully received :) .

Regards,

John (jwts)

Guest richardw1984

im pretty sure you can change it for any pump of smiliar power. even if its higher power it should matter. Just obviously dont go for a smaller lesse rpowered pump and you should be fine.

I would not pay more than £65 as I got and external one for that and internal ones are less.

Do you have a swirl pot in the tank as some pumps come with them built in to fit in the tank.

webber do one with sender etc as one unit for £110 ish.

My in tank ford pump was fitted to the metal tube and had a filter on the bottom looks like a small bag

Stephen

Hi John,

Just looked in the Haynes manual, Rover 2.0ltr EFI MEMS unit requires max pressure 4.1 bar, constant pressure 3.0 bar +/- 0.2. It doesn't state the delivery rate though (GPH).

Hope this helps.

Al

Al,

I never thought of looking in the Haynes manual :mellow: . I decided to go for a pump I found on ebay. It is physically very similar to the one I have and has a operating pressure of 3 bar and a delivery rate of 160 litres/hour.

I have driven this engine in a Rover 420 and it easily does 200 miles on 30 litres so a quick bit of mental arithmetic says it should do 1000 miles on 150 litres. So this pump should be good for at least 800 miles/hour or better :) . I can live with that!

PS - I know the calculations above are a bit iffy but I still think 160 litres/hour should be enough :) . I hope the ECU turns the pump off when the max presure is reached?

Regards,

John (jwts).