Chassis Number

Guest ANDY GARTON

Guest JohnS

I had this problem, I when to the DVLA office several times and got a different story every time.

You need to get the SVA before you can start the registation process,

But for the SVA you need a chassis number (DVLA). you just go back and forth.

In the end i sent off my SVA application with the donor vehical chassis number on it, if this was not questioned i would then have fitted the donor chassis plate,

But the nice man from the VI in swansea, phoned me to say i could not do this,

He say Quote "the chassis number must be made up of 17 digits including both numbers and letters",

His suggestion to me was, ROBINHOOD2B****** the last six numbers being for example my birthday,

This has satisfied the SVA and the DVLA,

If you wait for the powers that be you will wait a long time,

JohnS

I went through the process with Luton DVLA. I phoned the nice lady up prior to booking the SVA (you need the chassis number to put on the application form) and she was aghast that I was considering making up a chassis number, and I had to get the car inspected first. If you are within 20 miles of a DVLA office they will come out to your house and look at it (book in advance as there may be a waiting list). If not, you will either have to get the car trailered up to them or drive it :D . It is legal to drive the car up to a DVLA inspection without tax or MOT provided the car is insured. I understand that the car does not necesarily need to be complete to be inspected, although it is difficult to drive a part finished car ;) . You have to apply for the DVLA check and on the form you declare the parts of the car that are new and which are donor parts (with serial numbers) . They physically check the numbers you have declared, check the receipts for the kit and any major parts you bought and check the donor log book. Once happy, they issue a registration number via the post about a week later.

I went through the following process:

- Finished the car off

- Got it insured (Adrian Flux were very understanding of the whole process)

- Got it MOTd (free drive number 1)

- Drove the car to Luton and got the car inspected by DVLA. (45 minute drive to the test centre B) )

- Received the chassis number

- Applied for SVA test

- Did SVA test (failed :angry: )

- Did SVA retest (passed :D :D :D )

- Delivered pass certificate to DVLA Luton to complete the registration process.

Yes, there is a lot of buggering about, but the buggeration level seems to deend on where you live. Other people have just made up the chassis number as detailed above, done the SVA test, then got the car inspected when they went to finish off the registration process.

Daz

Guest Taffy Rob

Yup, you're best off phoning your DVLA local office and asking what they want, make a cuppa and prepare for a long wait though, and search on the net for a direct line, if you go through swansea they'll only take a message and get someone to phone you back in like 2 days.

At cardiff, they said they didn't need to see my car, apparently i sound quite trustworthy on the phone, and it was ok to make up my own vin number.

Rob

:huh: Seems to depend on were you live, my local DVLA is Preston and they decided i couldnt drive it there and they don't do visit's so had to trailor it there. They then fill out another little white form(exact one i filled out week before) to say which part came from were and which were new.

I made up my own chassi number and this was'nt questioned something like RH2b then invoice number then my initials and the date i picked up kit ie RH2B1234MCG122001

as long as its unique then it's ok and if you use invoice number then it should be.

if the DVLA is close to you it may be easier going and seeing who in charge the kitcar regestering (at preston it's left to one individual)

so it all depend's on where you live,

but i would advice on going for MOT to make sure everything's OK then DVLA then SVA and then finish the regestration and enjoy the ride's to them all.

Hope this helps

Mitch

Guest piddy

Here is part of a letter sent to me from the DVLA.

I made my own VIN number using ten digits and become worried after hearing all the comments a year or so ago.

Make your own Chassis/VIN number must be unique.

Piddy.

DVLC, Swansea have forwarded to me your letter re: your concerns about the registration

of the above vehicle. I am therefore writing to you to try and calm your worries.

On the matter of which a chassis number or VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is

acceptable and which one not, we are in the hands of the (Vehicle Inspectorate). As we

understand it, they need to be satisfied that a VIN is unique before they will issue an SVA

certificate. This usually means they require a VIN that complies with the International VIN

system of 17 characters (our 'VRO' VINs fit into this system). However, with kit vehicles,

a VIN of a minimum of 10 characters is generally acceptable as long as they are happy

about its 'uniqueness'.

So, if your fellow club members have been issued with 'VRO' VINs to obtain SVA

certificates it may simply be because the VINs they used were too short for the Vehicle

Inspectorate. If the VI had not accepted your VIN, we at this office would willingly have

issued you with a 'VRO' VIN. But we prefer not to issue them unnecessarily and it creates

more work for the customer.

I hope this will put your mind at rest,

While i was building my 2B i had a "build up" cover policy from Adrian Flux and they insured the car under the engine number. Im sure they could/would insure for road cover the same way until the chassi number was decided.

Or just go ahead and make up youre number, stamp the chassi and use that.

Mitch

Guest Jim Castle

Folks,

Just in the process of applying for SVA in Maidstone DVLA area. They would not allow me to make up a Chassis Number (VIN) but helpful lady at Maidstone (Julie Whitaker) arranged the following for me:

- visited DVLA office with V5, RHE invoice, scrappies bill of sale (source of donor)

- made out forms,

- VIN issued on the spot, evidence (V5 etc) kept by Maidstone DVLA until I return post SVA.

- can now arrange for and attend SVA as in possesion of VIN

- once passed SVA, need to drive car to Maidstone DVLA where she will inpect (built up inspection) and register car.

She was adamant that all DVLA's should follow this procedure and was amazed that some were allowing builders to make up their own VIN's.

Final point, she was very helpful etc including returning my calls through the call centre.

Hope this helps for those in Maidstone DVLA catchment area but probably further confuses those elsewhere

Jim