Finally Passed

Guest robinj66

Guest robinj66

Well, I finally made it after three visits to Gillingham SVA.

Attached are pics of the final bracing required to satisfy the SVA man that a standard Sierra pedal box wasn't flexing to the extent that it was likely to fail.

You can see that extensive bracing with heavy angle iron was necessary to secure the brake and clutch pedals. The problem had been that there was detectable movement in the Ford (three-sided) box section that supports the pivot bar for the pedals. The plate that supports the master cylinder also flexed.

I had made the mistake of using a throttle pedal from a Cortina which unfortunately has an angled mounting bracket. despite earlier bracing the previous tester wasn't satisfied - the only answer was to replace it with a sierra pedal and further bracing. you can see from my earlier [osts that the steering column support bar isn't up to the job and requires further bracing

The point of posting this is to help others still building older kits by highlighting areas that caused problems - certainly I didn't consider that there would be problems with these items and it was a right PITA to sort out.

[i should point out that my problem was exacerbated by having to see a succession of different testers as Gillingham has been undergoing a series of changes in personnel. It is worth noting that when your retest is carried out by a different tester [b]he is entitled to recheck everything[/b] . This contrary to popular myth so you have been warned :p

An example of this is that the third tester wasn't happy with my upper seatbelt mounts (which had been approved by two previous testers) he was on the verge of failing me but settled in the end for giving me an "advisory" and taking photos to discuss with other testers.

I should thank eveyone for their assistance in helping me get this far. Special thanks to AL M for loaning me certain SVA approved parts. :hi: The real work is just beginning....... :yahoo:

Guest robinj66

I've just been out in it this afternoon after fitting various things including a smaller steering wheel.

WOW! Even with the engine badly out of tune it's a bit of a Wild Thang - seems to handle like a Kart.

Mucho Fun :yahoo:

ahh the monoque , i know it well .

well done robin for sticking with it and getting it through .

mayby you will leave the cobra at home and have some real fun ?

he he

regards graham

Well done Robin!!!

Now that you have nothing more to do :D perhaps we should descend on Al M & gee him up for a spring SVA......?

The Kent Krew is increasing by leaps & bounds now

Bob

You feeling hungry again Bob?? Hobnobs and butties on order, chefette booked :D :D :D

Al

Guest robinj66
mayby you will leave the cobra at home and have some real fun ?

he he

regards graham

Sounds like a plan. :D Someone will have to show me how to stuff a tent etc into a Hood though. I could barely get the tools and bits in for the SVA.

Guest chris brown

Well done Robin

Sounds like a plan. :D Someone will have to show me how to stuff a tent etc into a Hood though. I could barely get the tools and bits in for the SVA.

Its easy just never carry a passenger

Hi Robin,

Well done all the hard work has paid off now then.Hope to see it in the summer,if i can get my ar8e into gear and get mine back on the road we can go for a blast.(you might have to wait for me to catch up though!!).

Andy