Hello, I'm A New Rh Owner

Guest Stuart's S7

Guest Stuart's S7

Hi Everybody, I have just bought a S7 project and thought I'd introduce myself :rolleyes:

My name is Stuart Lathey and I'm an alchoholic, damn, sorry, I thought it was Thursday Night :D

I previously owned a Sylva Striker, a similar style to the S7 for those unfamiliar with the car which I bought after it had been built then laid up for many years by the original owner, a good friend of mine. I recomissioned it and ran it for 18 months before selling it. I regretted doing that straight away and was looking at a scratch build of something similar and decided on a 2B Plus. The funds available were never quite enough for the kit and always got swallowed up by other things. I then decided to buy an MGB GT to restore as I had owned one 15 years before. It was always going to be a poor replacement for the Striker and I think that this along with the huge rust problem meant my heart probably wasnt really in it. With the Striker I had a programme of improvements and mild upgrades in mind and intended to strip the car down and 'make it mine'

The S7 I have bought was built in 1996 and was used on the road for three years before the original owner/builder decided on a rebuild. I'm not sure what prompted it but it has been off the road since and I have now arranged to collect it in about ten days time. It is correctly registered as a Robin Hood and bears the Sierra registration mark. It has been largely dismantled and comes as a rolling chassis with decent wheels, 2l pinto and 5spd box plus instruments and fibreglass panels, lights etc.

Once it's home I'll get some pics on here....... If I havent bored you to death yet, thanks for reading and wish me luck!

Stuart

Some mother do 'ave 'um! :D :D ;)

Ah well, that's it then, you're going to be cold, cut, dirty and generally pee'd off in various amounts over the winter. BUT not to worry, there's lots of us on here that can help you out when it comes down to it.

What you need to do, is go and look at the "identification" page of my website to find out just which model you've got.

It's obviously a monocoque, and if it's stripped down as far as you say, there are a few modifications that you really must do before putting the engine & box etc back into it. The monocoques have certain "weaknesses" built in.

ALL the suspension mountings need work to make them stronger, the inner corners of the engine bay will be cracked, these will need welding up and strengthening.

also, be very aware that some of our members are only conversant with "2B" type Robin Hoods (ie, tubular chassis) they don't know that life existed before the SVA etc. So any advice about chassis/body stuff, will be completely wrong.

Oh, PS.............Good luck!

Hi Stuart welcome to the world of the hoodies !!! Dont think this is part of the yob culture ov today there are one or two law abiding members amongst us ! well I think ther,s one actualy . But weve a good bunch ov lads who are always ready to give advice whether its good or bad thats for u to decide !! Anyway if uv any questions just ask and good luck with the build .

Bernie ;)

Guest Stuart's S7

Cheers Jim!

Strange as it may sound I am actually pleased that my MIG welder wont be redundant as I have spent a while practising ready for the now abandoned MGB Project!

Once it is home I will use your page as a reference to see which model I have, many thanks!

I will apologise now for the HUGE amount of posts I will put on here in the coming months but one day I might be in a position to return some useful tips :rolleyes:

Some mother do 'ave 'um! :D :D ;)

Ah well, that's it then, you're going to be cold, cut, dirty and generally pee'd off in various amounts over the winter. BUT not to worry, there's lots of us on here that can help you out when it comes down to it.

What you need to do, is go and look at the "identification" page of my website to find out just which model you've got.

It's obviously a monocoque, and if it's stripped down as far as you say, there are a few modifications that you really must do before putting the engine & box etc back into it. The monocoques have certain "weaknesses" built in.

ALL the suspension mountings need work to make them stronger, the inner corners of the engine bay will be cracked, these will need welding up and strengthening.

also, be very aware that some of our members are only conversant with "2B" type Robin Hoods (ie, tubular chassis) they don't know that life existed before the SVA etc. So any advice about chassis/body stuff, will be completely wrong.

Oh, PS.............Good luck!

Hello Stuart and welcome to the club. Fill in your location as there may be other members in your area who will come round and offer help and advice while drinking your tea and biccies (Hobnobs seem to be the favourite)

Regards, Baz

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Stuartl

Hi Bazwaz,

For some strange reason I seem to have two identities on here, I have obviously registered twice, as stuartl and Stuart's S7. Doh!

I like the sound of the V8 in an S7!

I was going to put one in my MGB. Do you have any pics of the car please?!

Regards

Stuart