Convoy Communication

Big Jim

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mickmellors

BREAKER - BREAKER - ONE NINE FOR A COPY - COME ON

CALLING BIG JIM - BIG JIM ARE YOU OUT THERE GOOD BUDDY - WHATS YOUR 20 - COME BACK

ARE YOU UP FOR A ROLL DOWN THE BLACK TOP SUPER SLAB THIS SATURDAY TO VISIT RS JIGTEC - COME BACK - EYEBALL THE EVENTS SECTION FOR THE 20

Oh it all comes flooding back ! ! !

Only last night, we (committee) were discussing the possible merits of walkie talkies for shows and outings, convoys, le Mans etc etc

Guest Captain Daz

Gentlemen,

I have been using 2 walkie talkies this year in convoy and they have been quite good. Out door range is 2 miles. In car is less but good enough for convoy. The extra benefit of walkie talkies is that when you get to a show you can wander off and still find your mates.

The sets I use have 22 channels, auto squelch and a page key wich makes the other set ring like a mobile phone. They are mobile phone size. I got mine from the USA this year at a cost of £14.00 the pair. The make is Uniden?

I expect to return to the U.S. next year and may be able to pick up more. If I do I'll post a note on the site to see if anyone wants a pair.

Cheers

Daren

If you get them from the US of A, they will more than likely work on the AM band (to match up AM CB's over there) this will mean that they are illegal to use in the UK. Should some clued up snoop let the radio communication boys know, they can enter your house, search and confiscate ALL items that are capable of receiving radio communications That means every, radio, video, tv, Hi-fi, whatever.

To use something like this over here, you need to get some of the 'better' quality models of the 446 frequency units, but then you're paying too much, and they still only put out ½watt. That means if you're in town, with a few buildings between you, forget it! (that said, the American ones can put out 4 watts, but on the wrong type of frequency)

Hey Jim,

I've been looking into this and from what I can see there are 80 channels that we can currently use in the UK. These are 40 UK channels and 40 European Channels. Now the 40 UK channels have been discontinued and so newly manufactured CB equipment cannot receive them (legally) however the channels won't actually be killed until 2010 so that people have a chance to upgrade their kit.

Have I got all that right?

If so then that means we have to choose one or the other set that we are going to use and we have to get appropriate rigs. Also if we decide to use the UK 40 then the rigs are all going to have to be second-hand (or at least old stock). The good bit is that these sets are now going cheap. Although I expect in a year or two they will get more expensive as they become rarer until closer to the actual stop on the channels when they will become worthless.

It's perfectly possible (likely) that I'm talking crap here so someone with more knowlege of the subject please confirm this for me and if I'm right - which way are we planning to jump?

Iain

You're correct, the 40 UK channels will be defuct in 2010, but as you say, the second hand sets are cheap (you missed that bargain last night!) so for a 'legal' 7 years, and then some, £20'ish isn't a lot.

The new sets on the market have both bands of frequencies in, both UK & EU, at £69 new, but there are 2nd hand ones to be had.

Being Hoodies, we are obviously going to use the cheapest that will do the job, ie. the UK sets.

I was hoping to get that one last night coz it had both sets of channels. Unfortunately I wasn't around as it ended so I missed out. I did win a pair the other day one is UK and the other is European so I am OK whichever way. It would just have been nice to have one for each Hood.

Iain