Lightweight Chassis Modifications

Guest danny

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, had a look at a few things on here over the last few weeks. I originally had a exmo, but have now got a Lightweight. Its been built up well and was running. It is now back to trhe chassis stage and I have seen alot about strenthening the chassis. Can anyone giveme a full list of the areas to be done, and possibly the best way to do each section. As far as I know there here is some areas:

The rear inner arches need stregthening

The front suspension (box section) needs strengthening (been told it doesnt, same thickness as a lotus elise?)

Sure I heard some other areas that need doing???

I also wondered about the suspension, can other shocks be used on these without mods or is it just the zimmeride that GBS sell?

Any advice appreciated, sure there will be more q's in the next few weeks/months!

Hi, Thanks, didnt come across that thread before. I am going through them, a few a night as there is a lot to absorb! Hence I was hoping there will be a list of modifications as carried out to the car that passed SVA.

Cheers

Dan

Dan,

I fitted AVO's to my car, the zimmers seem to fail quickly and are not up to much. Just need to make a new bracket for the fitment to the front bottom wishbone

Simon

Thanks for the replies, will give you a call graham - Seems your the main man for LW's.

I have started stregthening areas, lees7 pictures helped to assure me I was on the right lines. Not been online as I have been sourcing a donar, eventually found what I call/think is ideal - 2WD sierra sapphire cosworth complete less the engine and box. Dont think a T5 gearbox would fit into the tunnel anyway! I am going to get a type 9 box and I have either a 2.0 Blacktop Zetec or a 205 blocked 2.0 pinto. Love pintos, but may put the zetec in. Heard its a bit of a challenge, but then that will suit the entire car build!

Now I have the cosworth here with me I can start to take it apart. The loom will be complex as there is alot of electrics on the cossie model, will remove any looms I dont need, its got discs all round so the rear conversion is already done now! Pretty sure its got ABS so will need to look into that more, but on the whole I am pretty happy - 4 pot calipers, uprated performance diff, etc and the rest of the interior/exterior to break for spares, should pay the cost of the car twice over - Result!

Graham, will be in touch on the number you left - Thanks

Swan, thanks for the link, useful info/pics mate

Diyer, I spoke to GBS and they now sell the GAZ shocks for £360 all in. What did the AVOs cost and was there a certain type for the LW? Never gone into shocks before - What a car to start on!

Still spending nights going over all the other threads (have more time now I got the donar car out of the way, all I keep saying is we need that diff in place before we carry on - Ha ha!).

Have any other members got cossie running gear in there RH LW? May be handy regarding ABS, etc if they have.

Cheers

Diyer, I spoke to GBS and they now sell the GAZ shocks for £360 all in. What did the AVOs cost and was there a certain type for the LW? Never gone into shocks before - What a car to start on!

Cheers

Danny,

I think my AVO's were about that price as i recall. The ones i had from GBS were slightly wrongly spec'd, i was advised 300lb all round, but i needed to uprate the fronts to 350lbs, I actually think the rears need softening a touch.

But it was no big deal to make them fit. I did strengthen the top mount on the car so all the force was not transmitted in trying to bend the top shaft.

I also modded the top mount, to allow the shock to be in a more natural position and not twist (the zimmers, seem to have soft bushes, as such this is not an issue)

PM me your email, and i will send you the pictures.

Simon

we are in the process of constructing a web site with the mods as far as is pos listed and as far as pos detailed

its an expanded vertion of the hoods right up i did earlier in the year .

details later .on the site address

re the t5 i have modded the tunnel to accept an auto box on the latest vertion so t5 will go if the tunnel is worked on .

re the diff its realy the only bit that will be an absolute b rd to change at a later date make sure the ratio will suit your build and the diff is in good order .

my guy that builds boxes and diffs says he could change the ratio but it will be like walpapering the hall through the letter box !not easy and expensive .

sorry to correct things but my surname is coles .

an s makes things different to me sorry to correct .

danny please feel free to contact me re the build , on the no i gave earlier .

re the mods they are extensive , if you do as i have done , however they have resulted in 2 sva passes.

main area is the cockpit and the risk of the rear folding into the cockpit in a rear ender .

the solution is well covered in the mods .

regards graham

Guest Ian & Carole
sorry to correct things but my surname is coles .

an s makes things different to me sorry to correct .

regards graham

Whoops sorry Mr Coles :D :D

I should know better, there is nothing that annoys Carole more than seeing her name spelt without the "e" on the end.

Whoops sorry Mr Coles :D :D

I should know better, there is nothing that annoys Carole more than seeing her name spelt without the "e" on the end.

no probs ian.

graham