I'm Sorry, Dont Wish To Offend

Guest Nigel Novice

Guest TerryBarry

We used to work with a sub-contractor in that wonderful town.

When I had to visit I always refered to it as "Sunny Scunny" - don't think that would invoke the anti rude word device. :D

Guest Stuartl

I agree, the Matthews 'family' are a total disgrace and us silly buggers who pay our taxes fund their fags and booze and they know it.

They never paid anything in yet take out as much as they can.

If only my bank account worked the same way...................

I work with some of these people in homeless hostels, whilst there are some genuine cases (probably 20%) there are

some individuals who have been living in hostels for 20 years. They may get rehoused for a few months then blow their Community Care Grants (about £1000) then fail to pay the rent and then are back in hostels for another couple of years.

I dont mind anyone having an alternative lifestyle but the only issue is the cost.

There are over 300 hostel and supported housing beds in Leicester alone Each one costs, wait for it !!!!!!.................................................................. £498.00 each per week plus benefits and guess who pays? Well its not the residents, though they do contribute £6 per week from their benefits.

Maybe this does pay my wages but i would gladly give up my job if it meant this problem would cease.

Oh and dont get me started on benefits, residents with drug and alcohol issues can claim disability living allowance and other benefits of up to £250 pw

And it doesnt matter how stringent the Government laws are, they will always be deemed to ill to work which will only affect genuine people with disabilities that get there benefits axed.

Then there`s my personal favourite........ Cold weather payments for residents who live in a 24 hour 365 days a year centrally overheated hostel.

Grrr I need a new job.

Interesting read, but restrictions on my private life will prevent me from commenting ...

I did watch the Panorama documentary about the case and even I had my eyes opened. I wasn't aware that a local supermarket had offered to provide them with provisions so they filled one trolley with food and a second trolley with alcohol.

Unbelievable.

Where will it end.

i agree totaly, the un fortunate state of this country boils down to the fact the we give more rights to people who choose to scrounge from the state, enter our country illegaly and break laws.

the country needs to take the bull by the horns, parliment are supposed to speak on behalf of the people, they ceretainly do not do that, if they did we would not have gone to war in iraq, we would not allow the amount of immigrants to enter our country, we would not allow our benefits system to be abused so easily (ok so the benefits system is currently under a long awaited review).

This country is very quickly breaking, we are handing hard earned money out to causes that we shouldn't, the NHS is getting financially drained by "outsiders". we do whatever the yanks want us to, joining in any war they don't want to take the full blame for, the government take from the honest earner and give to the scammers.

Our government closed pits when we have so much more unmined coal, but no lets not use our own industry, lets buy from germany!

it could go on for pages on my opinions but to sum up what i would like to see:

Stop immigration now.. full stop.. untill our country is in a better position.

Make prisons more hostile, bin the tv's, games consoles etc, reopen the pits and make them prison pits, we have thousands of unemployed miners that could train the lags how to do the job, then, instead of inmates costing an avg of £30k a year they may earn that for us. this in turn will bring back the line "paying your debt back to society".

Give public bigger balls, if you don't like what your council or government do... tell them.... make your statement... go to council meetings..... its no good sitting at home and whining if your not prepared to speak out.

Lets change the legal system, if somebody is found guilty of drug/ alcohol fueled crimes and they are claiming benfits....... lock them up or take their benefits of them, if they can afford to drink and smoke or do drugs they are getting too much money.

people who are on the dole win on the lottery and scratch cards.... for once i like something the yanks do, if a person on social security wins anything on their lottery/scratch cards... half of their win goes straight back to government... personally i think it should be a higher percentage... again if they can afford the lottery they are getting too much.

If a person breaks a law... take all their rights away, they didn't give a toss about who they were robbing/assaulting/killing/abusing so why should they have rights.

get rid of "where theres blame theres a claim" its killing the country and industry.

finally can someone please ban strickly come prancing" please please.

Guest peter2b2002

i don't know how they can claim all this money, 2 months after my stroke i had to go for a check up with the benefit officer, on arrival a doctor asked me if i could stand on one leg for the count of 5 seconds( had to use my right leg as the left was still wonkey), pick up a 2p coin ( left hand still numb so used my right hand) and walk up stairs (had to use both hands on the hand rail as my ballance was a bit wobly), and bend over to pick up a pencil of the floor,as i could do all four i was told my benifit of £60 / week would be cut as i was fit to do some type of work, as this happened to me 18 months ago how do others still get away with these claims??

end of my rant.

peter2b :(

I like what Mark B said too. I have had an idea for a long time since i served on a warship. Let's hot-bed prisoners. They are constantly bleating on about overcrowding and giving prisoners early release when they should be locked away and punished. Firstly, get them out working. With the money it would save the government having this free labour, employ more guards. Give them shotguns and put the prisoners out to work, be it in pits or out on roads cleaning. whilst these are out working, get more prisoners in the now empty jail. When they have done their 12 hour shift they can get in the empty beds of the others who can now go out and work. If they step out of line, they get shot. We need to stop being so soft with these people. Granted, some are too dangerous to let out *, but the majority of the prison population can work. We can then make their sentences longer and really punish them. At the same time, we have instantly doubled the capacity of our jails.

* If we brought back corporal punishment most of these would be killed off anyway. Why the *bleep* should we keep alive child rapists and murderers? what good comes from keeping these sick people alive?

Guest Ian & Carole
I like what Mark B said too. I have had an idea for a long time since i served on a warship.

* If we brought back corporal punishment most of these would be killed off anyway. Why the *bleep* should we keep alive child rapists and murderers? what good comes from keeping these sick people alive?

Good idea :D would you recommend using the cane or the plimsole? :rolleyes:

Capital Punishment was removed from the statute books due to to many inocent people being put to death, some would say that with the development of DNA

that risk is some what diminished........................................................??????????? :ph34r:

Armed Prison Officers like armed Police would not have the desired result, you would bring MORE violent crime to the prisons and streets like in America.

Violence breeds violence, retalliation etc.

Armed Police and Prison staff will become targets and not seen as deterrents.

I totally agree about prison life needing to be tougher although like "Enforcer" restrictions on my private life prevent me expanding my thoughts and opinions on that subject.

I fully agree society HAS gone mad but I fear no one will ever have the balls to take it on and change it.

Sadly

Guest timswait
Capital Punishment was removed from the statute books due to to many inocent people being put to death, some would say that with the development of DNA

that risk is some what diminished........................................................???????????

Diminished perhaps, but for sure not eliminated. There's been cases of wrongful convictions where people have been convicted on the basis of DNA evidence. Either the samples get contaminated in the lab or in the police station (which is ever more of a problem as the tests get more and more sensitive), or the jurors don't really understand the evidence, most members of the public have pretty scant understanding of statistics, which doesn't help. Also there was a study in the US on death row reprieves (the majority of "death" sentences don't result in an execution). The study tried to find correlations between factors like how bad the crime was, and how strong the evidence the conviction was based on was and found no link. The only link which was statiscally significant was how well educated the convict was, the higher the level of education the more likely the reprieve. Also countries with capital punishment tend to have higher violent crime levels, which is the "cause" and which is the "effect" is pretty open to debate, but there's no real evidence that it "works". Extremes tend to breed extremes, so before any more draconian punishments are brought in I'd like to see evidence that it actually works.

If I was mugged it would give me some satisfaction to know my attacker was having a really nasty punishment, but I'd rather not be mugged in the first place.