Efi Cam

Guest Fred2b

I am looking forward into the new year and possibly a late Christmas present.

Can I fit a fast road cam to my EFI engine or would the electronics which manage the injection cancel out the extra power??

Regards

Peter <_<

Guest Phil Slater

The Kent Fr34 is listed as a "sports injection" for the 2.0 Lt pinto and does not, I believe, cause any problems with the mapping of the Efi unit. Somebody else may be able to fill you in on how it performs.

There was a thread on this topic I think on the old discussion board, I'm not sure if there has been anything on this one. The Yahoo board may also have a thread.

HTH

Phil Slater

Guest Simon cooper

Hello Peter,

The electronics will not offset or rob you of power. The bigger the cam, the more air it will flow. The air flow meter reads greater air flow so ecu will give you more juice. the problem mainly is the idle. with performance cams you have longer durations and/or greater overlap. At lower revs, air speed is low and this causes air to blow back through the inlet valve and upset the airflow meter. they end up pulsing and the poor old ECU tries to follow it ( Bless it). To prevent this you need to up the idle. Easy you say, but no. the ECU wants to see an idle between 800 and 950. If it is outside of this, it thinks you have your foot on the throttle and will not control the idle speed. Alternatively, it sees the revs at 1000 and a closed signal from the throttle potentiometer, so it switches off the injectors till the idle is within spec, then switches on again. This causes horrendous hunting.

There is no cheep answer. Just try and go for a cam that will allow an idle below 950 (so not too wild).

Unfortunately in this game, you cannot have your cake and eat it. ECU's are not the Panacea that we all once thought

All the best

Simon

The FR34 will be OK on an injection lump. I have one in a 2.1 which was injected until I took it out of the Sierra (to be fitted to the Hood on a carb). I never got it set up properly (cam was just timed static to manufacturers spec) and so the power was higher up the rev range than I wanted but it could fly. Ask the guys who were ferried up and down the hill to the pub at Wales earlier this year. I could see the fingers going white in the rear view mirror.

Or maybe that's just my driving ;)

It was only ever in the Sierra as a temporary measure to keep me mobile until the replacement arrived but it is a nice driveable motor that could turn Jekyll when the loud pedal was given a prod. I'd like to get it into one of my Hoods soon and get it properly tuned but I need to spend more time in this country for that.

See Jim another excuse :p but I've got a great route planned for a run next year. Might take a while though ;)

Iain

post-6-1070582708.jpg

Not sure why everyone is leaning (must hold camera straight in future). But that's my Mum, Sister and Dad (ballast). Despite the looks we did end up somewhere we intended (she's failed the Phuckawi entrance exam then). After crossing those mountains with the snow we ended up here. Lucern (spelling) and yes those hills are the Swiss Alps. Awesome driving country up there. We weren't far from the pass that they used at the end of the Italian Job where the coach ended up hanging off the edge. Unfortunately the driver wussed out on us cos it was a hire car and he doesn't like driving in snow. We did test it out on the Autobahn though with six people a Renault Espace 2.0t will do 198km/h (he was trying for 200 and apparently his Audi will do 220).

post-6-1070583076.jpg