Bonnet On A S7

Guest sneintonmatt

Guest sneintonmatt

just getting to the point of fitting my bonnet to my s7 reading the wonderful instruction booklet the bonnet should rest of a lip on the edge of the scuttle but my scuttle has no lip, its descriped in the manual as firewall is to be riveted to the scuttle in the area covered by the bonnet, really confused by this as i cant seem to work out where my bonnet is supposed to go, any photos would be great or just tips thanks guys

Guest outtolunch

As far as I remember mine does not have a lip on the edge of the scuttle either but a strip of self adhesive foam has been stuck along the edge which covers the rivets and gives a soft bed for the bonnet, both of the fore and aft edges of the bonnet have strips of chromed plastic trim fitted and the bonnet is lined up by getting the fore edge sitting correctly seated in the lip moulded into the nosecone ( also has foam strip ) before the catches are pulled down tight.

Guest sneintonmatt

think i can see what you mean but in my mind seems like the bonnet woul then sit high above the scuttle height? dont know if i am just getting the wrong end of the stick tho, is there any chance of you showing me a picture at some point? thanks for the reply

Guest SMR610
think i can see what you mean but in my mind seems like the bonnet woul then sit high above the scuttle height? dont know if i am just getting the wrong end of the stick tho, is there any chance of you showing me a picture at some point? thanks for the reply

I haven`t got any pictures I`m afraid, but that`s right it just sits on the scuttle there is no lip.

On the early S7 the scuttle panel had a ridge press into it at the front which the bonnet butted up too, the scuttle was held in place by a row of pop rivets along the front egde and stuck down on to the frame work underneath using Sikaflex.

The bonnet was lined up so it followed the contour of the pressed ridge in the scuttle and then trimed to suit the contour of the nose cone.

This ridge in the scuttle disappeared from the later models when RHE started to fit the scuttle to the monocque themselves.

post-936-1231109526_thumb.jpg

post-936-1231109563_thumb.jpg

Guest robinj66

Hope these help.

The edge of the scuttle on my car is the line of rivets.

Also a picture of the bonnet trial fitted - it sits just on the edge of the scuttle but I may have my nosecone too far forward

Guest pwlcarz

That's interesting.

The bonnet on my S7 sits on top of the scuttle and on top of the trailing edge of the nosecone. However I've always wondered why there was a gap between the lower sides of the bonnet and the side wall of the monocoque (you can see the gap, plus the overlap on the scuttle end in the attached picture). This was how it was when I purchased the car from Andy Spencer so assumed "that was how it was meant to be".

I can see that if the rear edge of the bonnet abutted the scuttle the sides of the bonnet might be closer to the monocoque side walls - either removing or reducing the gap. I may have to play about with the Nosecone position to make it work, but it's given me food for thought!

Hmmm!

Thanks guys!

post-1735-1231192193_thumb.jpg

Guest outtolunch

Thats a big gap mine has a slight gap when pulled down tight about 2/3 mm , could the edge trim you have fitted be part of the problem the trim fitted on mine if the thin chrome plastic type

Guest pwlcarz

Hi

Yes, it is possible it contributes to the gap, but the gap is around 20 - 25mm and I think the thickness of the edge trim won't be more than 10mm.

Biggest problem is the bonnet has been resting on the scuttle for so long the stainless is fairly badly marked so I don't know if it would polish up acceptably. If I can't polish the marks out I may have to leave it.

Peter