Efi Loom

Guest Pilch

I know it may have been covered before but I would like to update to EFi. How easy is it to connect up the sierra 2.0 EFi engine loom to a car which is not currently EFi and is not on a sierra loom?

Not that difficult at all, You;ll need the efi sub loom and the assosiated ancilires including distributer and amp module to make life easy, Then from memory theres four wires to connect.

Cylinder head may be a issue though, Its much improved on the efi with bigger shaped inlets and a better cam.

It would be worth changing the head to get the best from the conversion.

You could also look into mega squirt and TB conversion if you want to go along the injection route.

As with most thing hoody anythings possible.

Steve

Thanks. Got the complete set up including the loom. Just need to know which wires go where. Looking for reliability rather than ultimate performance.

Not that difficult at all, You;ll need the efi sub loom and the assosiated ancilires including distributer and amp module to make life easy, Then from memory theres four wires to connect.

Cylinder head may be a issue though, Its much improved on the efi with bigger shaped inlets and a better cam.

It would be worth changing the head to get the best from the conversion.

You could also look into mega squirt and TB conversion if you want to go along the injection route.

As with most thing hoody anythings possible.

Steve

Guest Dan_Beeston

Dead easy :)

As mentioned though, if you are fitting the Pinto EFi kit to a non-injected Pinto, you will need an injection head. These have the teardrop shaped inlet ports to allow the injectors to feed the fuel into the top of the port. I think if you use a standard head with circular ports you will end up injecting against the side of the head, which won't do much for your fuel atomisation!........

Like I said I have the complete set up so no problem there. The mechanicals are not the problem it is the electricals I am looking for some help with. Does anyone know what wires I need to connect up?

Thanks

Dead easy :)

As mentioned though, if you are fitting the Pinto EFi kit to a non-injected Pinto, you will need an injection head. These have the teardrop shaped inlet ports to allow the injectors to feed the fuel into the top of the port. I think if you use a standard head with circular ports you will end up injecting against the side of the head, which won't do much for your fuel atomisation!........

Guest Dan_Beeston

From memory it is just an ignition switched live (from a relay) to ECU & TFi module (these might be spliced together inside engine harness), feed to the fuel pump relay, and earth (or earths, there is a least one dedicated sensor earth comes straight from the ECU to the battery.

I have a wiring diagram for the whole EFi Sierra if it would help?, you can trace which wires leave the ECU and go off into the car rather than to something in the engine harness. Drop me a PM with your e-mail address if you want it (it's about 0.5meg)

Cheers,

Dan

Dan, PM sent.

Many thanks

From memory it is just an ignition switched live (from a relay) to ECU & TFi module (these might be spliced together inside engine harness), feed to the fuel pump relay, and earth (or earths, there is a least one dedicated sensor earth comes straight from the ECU to the battery.

I have a wiring diagram for the whole EFi Sierra if it would help?, you can trace which wires leave the ECU and go off into the car rather than to something in the engine harness. Drop me a PM with your e-mail address if you want it (it's about 0.5meg)

Cheers,

Dan

• 1 year later...
Guest JimmyRH

Good afternoon,

I'm Jimmy from Holland.. and this is my first post on this Forum, I've been mostly reading.

I can't detect ": Introduce yourself topic, so if there is please telle me.

About 4 months ago I bougt a Robin Hood S3 in the UK. this was fitted with a 205 pinto engine, but because we have the rule that cars from 1998 need an Injection engine. Im building this car from Pinto carb To Pinto EFI, (I bougt a Sierra EFI for all the parts.)

I'm very interested in the wiringdiagram for the Efi from "Dan_Beeston." I have 2 manuals for the Sierra but this is not quit clear to me, I'm not the electrician.

I plug and plaved everything but I'm not quite sure If I fitted the relay's for the fuelpump and the ECU on the correct way. And I really want to check if I connected all the other wires on the correct way.

my email adres: jimstar187@hotmail.com

Edited by JimmyRH

Guest Getting There

Hi

On the ECU loom you should have the two relays (yellow) connected with a fuse. There is a black wire which runs to the back of the car to power the fuel pump. To power the loom there is one red wire ( which may have a section at the end which is sheathed in black(fuse wire)) to +ve connection on the battery, there are also two brown (one from the ECU & one from the relays) -ve wires which go straight to earth, these are permantly connected. To link into the Car Loom there is a multi plug which is not used (used to connect to the rest of the loom) that looks like the ones that go to connect to the EFI unit on the engine (located towards the distributor plug!

The plug is not used but there are five wires as follows:

Black This is where the switched +ive from the car loom goes, and turns on when the ingnition is turned on

Red/White This wire is not used and can be removed from the loom as it connected the temp guage to the other loom in the sierra

Green or Brown This is the one which connects to the car loom and goes to the rev guage

Blue/Black This wire is not used

Green/Brown This wire was the oil pressure switch on the sierra so doesnt need using

If you are on a bench and want to know if it is correct, connect to a battery through a fuse and tap the black wire from the 5 pin plug to the +ve terminal. USing a multimeter or similat connect to the fuel pump feed, you should see battery voltage for 5 secs then stop. Turn the dizzy quickly by hand and battery voltage should appear again. Connect to your car and cross your fingers.

I hope this is helpful and does not throw up any more problems!!!

I did this and mine burst up and into action straight away....what a great sound..........................

Good Luck!!

Cheers

Chris

Guest JimmyRH

Tommorrow I have the day off (I'm at work now) I will go in the garage and try to get it running. I'll print this info, and I'l wait for further details.!

Thanks in advance.! :good:

As I was typing, more details came around.. thanks.!

Edited by JimmyRH

Guest JimmyRH

Hi,

I've checked up all my wiring and it's similar as above, when I turn my key just before actually starting i can hear the 2 relay's klicking.. so that's a good sign :),

The part: __________

If you are on a bench and want to know if it is correct, connect to a battery through a fuse and tap the black wire from the 5 pin plug to the +ve terminal. USing a multimeter or similat connect to the fuel pump feed, you should see battery voltage for 5 secs then stop. Turn the dizzy quickly by hand and battery voltage should appear again. Connect to your car and cross your fingers.

is not quite clear to me.

You take a fused wire, connect it tho the black, and the to the + of the battery.. but do you take het ignition feed black or the Fuelpump black..? and what is a Dizzy and how can I turn it ..?

I'm from the Netherlands. I understand most of the typing but some words and sentences are not totally clear to me, even after googling them.

If It's possible you can give me some expanation on the Parts

Guest Getting There

Hi

OK

The dizzy is the distributor, where the HT leads come out of, it can be spun by hand when removed from the engine.

With regards to the checking, if you can hear the 2 relays clicking, that is a good sign, after 5 seconds one of the relays should click again. If the dizzy is spun by hand (so the ECU thinks that the engine is turning over), the relay should click again.

If you dont want to do this, just put it all on the car and try to get it running; the above was jsut a quick suggestion before fitting it all to the car.

Cheers

Chris

Guest JimmyRH

Hi Chris,

Thanks for explaning the Dizzy to me :good: .

All the wires are in place So I will go and try to get it running when I have time this week.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Guest JimmyRH

Small update,

I'm still a bit ancious about starting it up, So I want to be sure that everythis is connected the right way. I took out the Fuelpump relay and connected the Ignition switch, with the Fuel connection in the relay holder, and It started pumping. So again good news.