Wobble On Axle

Guest owenpilson

Guest owenpilson

car 1992 2.0 pinto S7

ive got a strange rattling noise. ive traced it to a wobble on the input of the diff......

how terminal is it? if it goes how will it go?

can i replace the bearing on the shaft ,if there is one?

if i get another alxe what modifications would be need to be made

thanks in advance

owen.

Guest Mr Pid

Prob just best to change to change the whole diff, they are ten a penny and prob wont cost much, if you start playing around with the other one it could get messy and your not guaranteed to fix it.

A new one will give you peace of mind or a refurbed one would be a good idea, depends on how much money you want to throw at the problem.

I would give the local scrappy's a ring and see how much they want it will give you a good starting point.

Have fun :rolleyes:

Guest owenpilson

yeah that what i thought .... ive got a selection that cost between 30 - 75 quid ..... i dont think ill go for the obnoxious bloke that said " just you try and get hold of one mate , it will be 75 quid and i wont take any less"

fair enough keep your axle then ........

im phoning the 30 quid one back tomorrow to confirm its the right one......

did the 1.6 cortina have a different diff ratio to the 2.0 one?

owen.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest owenpilson

success ... it turns out that the retaining spring (which only holds the bearing in place for assembly) had come loose when the diff was originally put together. and got jammed inbetween the pinion bearing and flange.... when the spring finally fell to bits it gave about 1mm of play on the pinion (1mm too much) and bits of the spring got jammed into the bearing, causing the bearing to distort........

went around the scrappys and all the axles were crap..... asked uncle ford how much a new bearing would be and he said 42 quid ... no thanks.....

so then i phoned around bearing suppliers and got one for 15.25 from DRB deeside...

so now ive refitted the bearing cup (with the help of a big rubber mallet) and ill get back on with the axle assembly tonite..........

just thought i'd let you all know.....

if anyone needs the timken bearing numbers for the pinion on the cortina 2.0 axle give me a shout.

owen