Tyres

philshelton

looks like the time is coming to replace the rear tyres I have p6000 195x60 all round at the moment fronts still have loads of life rears not to bad but am going to fit one to a rim for a spare. am thinking of putting wider tyres on the rear the rims i have are ford focus alloys 6j x 15 what are my options and what effect will it have with wider rears. dont want to change fronts so will be staying with 60 profile.

phil

Hi Phil

there are load's of post's on tyre's.....

just depend's what you're using it for.

I put a set of yoko parada 2's on last year. nice soft compound so you can get the grip and the tyre pattern allow's for driving in wet weather....

if you want extreame... go for toyo proxy r888'8

cheers

Chris

Guest timswait

I think there'll be as many opinions on this one as there are types of tyre ;) . Personally Toyo T1-R's are excellent all round, good in the wet or dry, hot or cold and pretty reasonable price. They don't seem to last me any less time than any other, but I burn through tyres quite quickly. For all out performance in the dry (at the expense of more money, lasting less well and being useless in the wet) Toyo R888's seem the most popular, but I've not used them.

On the subject of width, personally I wouldn't go over 195. That's quite wide enough for the weight of the car and the power you're putting through them. Wider tyres might marginally improve your absolute grip in the dry, but it'll come at the price of increased tendency to aquaplane (and mine's enough of a handful in the wet already). Also check that wider rubber will fit under your wings without rubbing. I remember Robin hood selling wider rear wings to cover 205 and upwards tyres, I think 195 is as wide as you can go on the standard wings.

• 1 month later...

I'm on 195/50 15 yoko a539. I wouldn't really recommend and higher than a 55 profile really. Theory being, that due to the light weight of the car, 20psi is plenty in the tyres to get the most grip out of them, a nice low profile affords less shift in the sidewall when cornering. Or just stick with 60's and inflate them but lose out on lots of potential grip.

I run 185/60/14 888s with 175 bhp XE

No problems with grip at all in the dry.....I cant even spin the rear wheels pulling away with an open diff,

the clutch just takes a bashing.

In the wet, you need to exercise caution!! On a good surface (rough) they grip OK, but on a smooth road like the side roads near LeMans, its like being on black ice with bald tyres...

5k miles on the rears until they needed replacing, but they get very hard use.

6k on the fronts already, about 4k left.

Tiger racing do the best price & good delivery.

AVOID M.A.P.S. tyres like the plague...an EBAY shop.

I tried ordering tyres twice over the phone, both times they went to check stock & Im still waiting for a call back.

TIGER delivered the tyres within 4 days.

Well Done JW!!

Bob

Guest charliems7

i'm on r888's 185/60/13's as said great in the dry,

not so in the wet!but had p6000's before and found them

ok but not a patch on the r888,the p6000 would spin in the wet

in 3rd without trying. only 121bhp pinto.

think the car's are to light to benefit wide tyres.

set of 4 r888 cost me £215.29 from tyretraders 10 months ago.

charlie

195/205x50x15 is about ideal for your wheels. 185 will fit as would up to 225 but the bigger you go the less support the side walls have so more difficult to keep the tread flat on the road, made worse by low pressures. Other than that it's a personal choice of rubber, 888 for me.

Nigel

Guest Deano 777
195/205x50x15 is about ideal for your wheels. 185 will fit as would up to 225 but the bigger you go the less support the side walls have so more difficult to keep the tread flat on the road, made worse by low pressures. Other than that it's a personal choice of rubber, 888 for me.

Nigel

Hi Nigel, i dont supose you know or where i can find out. the tyre pressures for my 2B, runing on 205/50/15 on the rears, and 195/50/15 on the front, also the toe in or out, and the cambre settings for the front wishbone kit, also has anyone been able to fit cambre bolts to the standard sierra rear axle set up to allow adjustment to the rear?? many thanks Dean.

I can only say what works for me on settings and my car is a modified series New 111. I remade the top wishbones to give 5 deg castor, 2 deg neg camber and run with 30' toe out. Extended mushroom to raise outboard upper wishbone pivot. Currently 180 lb front springs. At the rear wedges give negative camber of 1 deg and I hope I have 30" toe in but I've never had the rear checked. 300lb springs but will be fitting 400lb in a last ditch effort to do without an ARB. Springs are mounted in the spring pans. 18 psi all round is what I start the day with. You might try 16 and go up from there. Using one of Maplins magic temperature gauges can help you establish some of the settings like camber and pressures once you have the suspension geometry about right.

Nigel

Guest Deano 777

thanks again nigel, i have my car booked in on sat for a set up. it gives me something to work from. i will look for the topic on the rear wedges and have a read up.

if anyone else would like to share there settings for a 2B i would be very grateful.

Thank you all. Dean.