Air Filter Options

Guest WAXOFF

I need a air filter for 2ltr pinto running on a 32/36 weber, I've had a pancake one on before but it got damaged by a size 10 boot, I've heard a lot a hatred for these, what alternatives are there given the tight space unber the bonnet?

I've seen a few fairly reliable (and scientific) magazine reviews saying that ITG filters are consistently the most free-flowing, but they're blinkin' expensive -_-

I think the one you'd be after is called something like a JC20 - I've had one under a 2B bonnet before with no clearance issues.

in true hoody style i sandwiched a normal round filter between 2 pieces of stainless steel. i made two oval shapes and then bent 2 edges down so its more straight with rounded ends. The filter then squidges in and takes the shape and is sandwiched between the two plates. its quite low about 1.5inches as i found a low filter off a rover. fits under my bonnet and doesnt look too bad. It has a very big surface area as its quite a large diameter filter. i guess you can make it any size you can find a filter and any hieght, just ask your local motor factors if you can have a look through there stock for a suitable size. hth

Waxy,

I also use a pipercross (on pinto/2B), which just about fits under the bonnet. The shallow one that I have (C3001, 40mm high) is only rated for 105hp though so it will still restrict flow into a tuned 2l engine. There is a school of thought that if a foam filter touches the bonnet then the air will still enter from the sides, which is true, but performance will be reduced. Still sounds like it might be better than what you had before though. HTH, Brian

Guest old_timbo

I had the lowest ITG filter that fits under a 2B bonnet. On the rolling road it knocked 3 bhp off from when no filter was fitted, and then another 5 bhp when the bonnet was lowered. Just holding the flat of a hand within 25mm of the top of the filter had a noticeable effect. You really need a taller filter and a hole in the bonnet, or Snapperpaul's suggestion.

Tim

After reading this post, I can't disagree with the findings that old timbo qoutes, they are most likely true, I would however like to point out something.

Everyone gets blinkered to MAX BHP the engine puts out, and likes to quote the figure like a badge. WHY?

Unless you're screwing the guts out of the engine in every gear, you're never going to use that MAXIMUM BHP. The only time this would be required is on the track, not on the queens highway each day.

The vast majority of Hoodies will change up to the next gear at approx 5000rpm, and cruise around 3½ to 4K rpm, they'll never see the upper reaches of the engine RPM chart.

This means that a loss of 3BHP at maximum is neither here nor there, and I know what I'd sooner have, and it's not a bloody great hole in the bonnet!

Wise words Jim. Tim’s figures indicate that you lose 8HP though with a foam filter and bonnet closed- if I could get that back for not much effort/cost I think I’d do it (without cutting a hole in the bonnet). The top of my filter was touching the underside of the bonnet until recently, until I put a perforated thin Ally sheet on 5mm spacers under the bonnet- even at my modest road speeds, I immediately noticed a difference, the engine just felt more free revving, and 5mm is far from optimum clearance. I'm still working on ways to improve this area. Just my half-penny worth! Brian

Guest axle man again
I need a air filter for 2ltr pinto running on a 32/36 weber, I've had a pancake one on before but it got damaged by a size 10 boot, I've heard a lot a hatred for these, what alternatives are there given the tight space unber the bonnet?

I recently replaced the very poor sponge sandwhich pancake filter on my 2Ltr Pinto with another much superior one from Aldon Automotive (aldonautomotive.co.uk) This being a "Weber high performance air filter" by Webcon (webcon.co.uk). So far I have found it to be excellent in performance and looks a treat being chromed and value for money

Paul.

I recently replaced the very poor sponge sandwhich pancake filter on my 2Ltr Pinto with another much superior one from Aldon Automotive (aldonautomotive.co.uk) This being a "Weber high performance air filter" by Webcon (webcon.co.uk). So far I have found it to be excellent in performance and looks a treat being chromed and value for money

These do look nice and the price is good a bit of thought needed i think.