Looking For A Bigger Engine

Guest sherman0251

Guest sherman0251

Hi Guys, I have had a RobinHood Exmo for 5 years with a 1.8 sierra engine fitted. I am wanting to replace the engine with something a bit more powerfull maybe a 2.0 Zetec Engine from say a mondeo!

I am trying to find out if this engine would fit together with the existing sierra gearbox or would I need to replace this too?

Would anybody recomend an engine?

Any help would be appreciated

All Ford straight 4 engines from the Crossflow to the Zetec regardless of whether they are inline or transverse use the same bellhousing bolt pattern, a Zetec will take a type 9 or MT75 but may need a different flywheel and a CVH starter motor.

The Zetec will give you about 130bhp out of the box, probably a good 40 more than you have. A few good mods and 150 is relativelly easy and both gearboxes will cope, after this be prepaired for some gearbox upgrading if you give a lot of stick.

Guest sherman0251
All Ford straight 4 engines from the Crossflow to the Zetec regardless of whether they are inline or transverse use the same bellhousing bolt pattern, a Zetec will take a type 9 or MT75 but may need a different flywheel and a CVH starter motor.

The Zetec will give you about 130bhp out of the box, probably a good 40 more than you have. A few good mods and 150 is relativelly easy and both gearboxes will cope, after this be prepaired for some gearbox upgrading if you give a lot of stick.

Thanks for the advice!! I kept meaning to join the club but never got round to actually doing it! lol!

My current engine performs nothing like it should! It tops out at around 85mph from a 1.8! Jst fancy sumthin with a bit of power so it responds when you want it too, after all thats what its for! So a 2.0 Zetec would drop straight in with just minor mods such as a flywheel and and maybe a starter motor!

I had origionally thought of putting a V6 in for the nice sound but read quite a few comments from people saying they are too heavy! I think ill also need to source a new fuel tank because at present i have only a racing tank which gives me around 55 mile from full!! Needless to say my journeys are planned via the petrol stations!lol

Guest sherman0251
Where have you been hiding for 5 years? join the club and in the current magazine there is an article telling how to do it, on a 2B granted but most of it will apply to you too!

Hi, How do I join the club and what does it cost??

Hi club membership is £15 per year Jan to Dec. you will get a discount on your insurance that will be about 15 %- 20 % so it will pay for it self.

link to join this can all so be done on line using pay pell at £ 16 pay pell charge us and you save stamp etc

I have just produced the latest copy of the club MAG Boys in hoods that you also get as a member up to 4 times a year and we have a hog roast at the Newark show.

We also provide a BBQs to use at other shows with a large gazebo to gather in and chat and have a drink if camping.

We have track days , An annual trip to Le mans 24 hr race.Info link

Area meetings near to you usually each month.

Also members get a list of members near to them so they can meet like minded people.

This year we also have a trip to Holland,Link to info and the Nürburgring link to info

We look forward to welcoming you to the club.

Stephen

Looks a bit of an animal! What is it? And more the point whats it cost??

hi it started life as a ford focus engine , its a st 170 duratec

cost of engine £700 23k mile engine , from a scrap yard in romford .

bellhousing ip racing clutch and flywheel was from burtons and was arround £700 ish (she ant looking i hope?)

megasquirt £350, other bits hoses ect .

jenvy t/boddies and mapping plus work not related £2100 .

not cheap !!!!!!!!!!!!

so the answer is it cost lots ,but it could have been more .

but the result is amasing .

graham

Guest sherman0251
hi it started life as a ford focus engine , its a st 170 duratec

cost of engine £700 23k mile engine , from a scrap yard in romford .

bellhousing ip racing clutch and flywheel was from burtons and was arround £700 ish (she ant looking i hope?)

megasquirt £350, other bits hoses ect .

jenvy t/boddies and mapping plus work not related £2100 .

not cheap !!!!!!!!!!!!

so the answer is it cost lots ,but it could have been more .

but the result is amasing .

graham

Sounds a lot of fun! Im doing a bit of research before i rip my engine out, want something responsive but reliable. My present engine is pretty reliable but no power really! Hoping to source an engine in next month or so then start the work! Think im gonna be looking for a 2.0 Zetec! Should see a big improvement on a 1986 1.8!

Ian

If you want an easy and economical change then you should consider putting in a decent 2.0L pinto. Firstly it will just be a straight swop and shouldn't cost more than 200 quid all in. That will give you a very drivable car that will easily top 100.

You can go on as it's easy to pull the head off, have 60 thou skimmed off the face and three angle seats cut at your local machine shop. That's another 100 quid or so. Take it home and tidy up the casting marks in the ports and flow them a little. Free! Fit a fast road cam such as the piper 285 and a vernier pulley. Another 250 quid. Finish off with a second hand DGAS or even DGAV at 50 quid.

Power should be getting on for 115 at the wheels. The engine will be fine around town but angry/agressive/exciting on A roads with 0-60 around 6 secs and 110 top speed. And all for about 600 quid and hardly any of the faff of fitting a zetec and quarter the cost.

Nigel

I speak as someone who has a fairly swift zetec in a series three. The zetec is a far better engine but you have to work hard to convince yourself it's cost effective. How fast do you want to go?

If you want an easy and economical change then you should consider putting in a decent 2.0L pinto. Firstly it will just be a straight swop and shouldn't cost more than 200 quid all in. That will give you a very drivable car that will easily top 100.

You can go on as it's easy to pull the head off, have 60 thou skimmed off the face and three angle seats cut at your local machine shop. That's another 100 quid or so. Take it home and tidy up the casting marks in the ports and flow them a little. Free! Fit a fast road cam such as the piper 285 and a vernier pulley. Another 250 quid. Finish off with a second hand DGAS or even DGAV at 50 quid.

Power should be getting on for 115 at the wheels. The engine will be fine around town but angry/agressive/exciting on A roads with 0-60 around 6 secs and 110 top speed. And all for about 600 quid and hardly any of the faff of fitting a zetec and quarter the cost.

Nigel

I speak as someone who has a fairly swift zetec in a series three. The zetec is a far better engine but you have to work hard to convince yourself it's cost effective. How fast do you want to go?

Very wise words as usual Nigel. I love the zetec and mine is now pretty quick but if I was setting out on an upgrade I'd question the costs too (says he now costing up the ST fitment!!!!!). A good 2ltr pinto is still a hell of a lot of fun and on todays roads its unusual for me to fully exploit the zetec's power for very long.

I upgraded my old S7 (now owned by pwlcarz) from a 1.6 to bog standard 2ltr pinto (bought a freer flowing unleaded head) and made a huge difference. Cost me about £700 as I did full rebuild and replace all major bearings, rings, pumps, belts etc and had a machine shop hone the bores and clean everything up and measure tolerances etc. Sill relatively very easy to retrofitting a zetec, depends on your mechanical and electrical skills.

Hi Sherman which end of Northumberland are you located in? We are near Carlisle but range out and about in search of fun and sun- none of that today been on the snow covered hills scaring ourselves as schol was shut for the day :) There's a bloke we know in the northeast who is busy putting a duratec into his car and was selling his zetec it might be useful if you had a chat with him.

If you bide your time you might just get a pokey pinto from an upgrading Westfield owner which could save you a truck load of cash ;)

atb

Mike