Britain Turned Back The Clock Almost 50 Years

chris n

Guest erichetherington

At a quick glance at Jabberwocky's link it mentions modern electronics on the new engine, I would assume this enables it to run at speed rather than the 25mph existing engines are limited to.

Despite being one of the most modern and efficient steam loco designs ever built, all of the 49 original loco's have been scrapped.............ie there are none in preservation.

Hence one good reason why some enthusiasts embarked on building one, and this year it should prove there could still be a place for steam power if built in economical numbers with modern engineering technologies on a par with aerospace, and fuelled in an uptodate manner to generate steam efficiently. (making steam doesn't need to be a messy coal-shovelling technology any more )

:wub: Oh dear..............what have I just done ..... :wub:

Guest Jabberwocky

they say it is very efficient, I would like to have a comparison between the original Peppercorn engines and this one and then compare, running cost and emissions to a modern diesel electric

Guest Ian Marr

Built in Darlo' just up the road.

Been traveling to Easingwold for the last few days, so headed off on Saturday a bit early to catch it's trip to London. Only just did as well .... must have been doing at least a ton ... pulling ten or more carriages ... looked spectacular in the frosty dawn.

Never understood train-spotting, but this was impressive.

Got some pictures - I'll see if I can reduce file size.

Ian

Just the pictures sent shivers down my spine; 3million on this or a Buggati? MY money would go on the locomotive -- mainly because it's going to be USED--for what it was built to do, not stuffed & mounted which is probably the fate(past,present & future) for the Buggati. I LOVE steam!!

Guest Jabberwocky

My Dad is a spotter, I can not see the excitement. Maybe that is because I spent most of my childhood stood freezing cold next to a railway in the rail for a steam chain to chunder past and then run to that car and then off to stand at another piece of track

A fantastic achievement of British engineering (apart from the fact the boiler was made in Germany :D ). Being local my dad and I made a few visits over the years watching it come together. The reason it only cost 3 million is down to the volunteer workforce, if they were being paid the total cost would have been many times that.

I doubt any more will be built, Steam powered vehicles of any kind are far more expensive to build, run and maintain than rivals powered by diesel, petrol or electric.

Great pics by the way. I am definitely not a train spotter. But I am a steam nut.

You might find this interesting,

http://www.steamcar.co.uk/index.htm

Another example of British blokes in a shed having a go.