Sliding Pillock Broken

Knock-on

Hi Chaps

Has anyone had a problem with the sliding Pillar suspension failing?

The part that has broken is the central pillar for the coil-over. It has broken at the very bottom where it mounts into a circular sliding plate. At this end, there is a threaded stub which holds the pillar in place.

I think the pilar is ex-donor and was part of the dampner?

I have asked Richard from GBSC and apparently this is not uncommon and there is a way of strenghtening it?

Anyopne else experienced this?

Looking at it, I am a little wary about this arrangement. At the top of the sliding Pillar is a 19MM nut which is bolted onto a face plate which is bolted to the solid suspension arms. Pretty meat and 2 veg in my opinion. However, at the bottom is this small stub that looks a little delicate to say the least.

post-1962-1234954731_thumb.jpg

post-1962-1234954745_thumb.jpg

Guest Ian & Carole
Hi Chaps

Has anyone had a problem with the sliding Pillar suspension failing?

The part that has broken is the central pillar for the coil-over. It has broken at the very bottom where it mounts into a circular sliding plate. At this end, there is a threaded stub which holds the pillar in place.

I think the pilar is ex-donor and was part of the dampner?

I have asked Richard from GBSC and apparently this is not uncommon and there is a way of strenghtening it?

Anyopne else experienced this?

Looking at it, I am a little wary about this arrangement. At the top of the sliding Pillar is a 19MM nut which is bolted onto a face plate which is bolted to the solid suspension arms. Pretty meat and 2 veg in my opinion. However, at the bottom is this small stub that looks a little delicate to say the least.

Hi Larry

As stated this is a common fault but not a big problem to solve.

The "chrome shaft" is the inner shaft of the Sierra mcpherson strut front suspension leg.

If your broken one is not bent through the failure simply take to a local engineering firm and get the bottom of your shaft drilled out and a 8mm high tensile stud fitted.

I did this to mine during the initiall build and had no problems for three years 'till I chopped it all off and went down the wishbone route.

To the best of my knowledge my old stuff is still going strong on another car.

HTHs

Hi Larry

As stated this is a common fault but not a big problem to solve.

The "chrome shaft" is the inner shaft of the Sierra mcpherson strut front suspension leg.

If your broken one is not bent through the failure simply take to a local engineering firm and get the bottom of your shaft drilled out and a 8mm high tensile stud fitted.

I did this to mine during the initiall build and had no problems for three years 'till I chopped it all off and went down the wishbone route.

To the best of my knowledge my old stuff is still going strong on another car.

HTHs

I might just see how much it is for 2 new ones first :)

Guest Ian & Carole
I might just see how much it is for 2 new ones first :)

Larry

I don't think you can buy just the Chrome Shaft it's an integral part of the strut assembly and I would think they will be £100.00+

When I had mine drilled tapped and the stud inserted it cost me £15.00 for both.

The engineer had the shafts for 2 days.

Give Richard Hall a bell at GBS they might have some scrap struts, but you will still have a 4mm ? stud at the bottom of the shaft, and you are back to square one.

mine are also drilled and tapped at either 8 or maybe even 10mm

easy job for anyone with a lathe

you are a bit far away or i could have done them for you

dave

Bugger, drove up to Birmingham yesterday :)

Thanks for the advice, will probably get someone to bang in some 8 or 10 mill ones.

Guest Techmage

On mine there are 2 'hats' that are bolted ontop of the bottom bracket. The chrome shaft is a tight fit into these so all the thin bolt does is hold the shaft in all the lateral movement is controlled by these 'hats'. There is a quick mention of them in video 4 although mine don't look the same.

Pretty much made the decision to dump mine and change to wishbones, but reluctant to cut it all off until I have all the replacement parts.

I can post a picture of the 'hats' this evening if your interested.

On mine there are 2 'hats' that are bolted ontop of the bottom bracket. The chrome shaft is a tight fit into these so all the thin bolt does is hold the shaft in all the lateral movement is controlled by these 'hats'. There is a quick mention of them in video 4 although mine don't look the same.

Pretty much made the decision to dump mine and change to wishbones, but reluctant to cut it all off until I have all the replacement parts.

I can post a picture of the 'hats' this evening if your interested.

If you could.

It was a bit late last night when I discovered the break and it was just after I had sliced off my arm on a bit of Stainless so I wasn't quite as observant as I could have been :D

Hi Larry

Sorry to hear of your setback at this stage of build.

I'm pretty sure Ive got two spare chrome shafts which I had '' just in case'' anything happened like this to me.

I have a feeling that I might have two of the 'top hat' thingy's aswell. I made my own before RH sent me some during my build.

Let me know if you want these and I will dig them out.

I will show you how it all goes back together if you want.

Best if you can come over some time.

Hi Larry

Sorry to hear of your setback at this stage of build.

I'm pretty sure Ive got two spare chrome shafts which I had '' just in case'' anything happened like this to me.

I have a feeling that I might have two of the 'top hat' thingy's aswell. I made my own before RH sent me some during my build.

Let me know if you want these and I will dig them out.

I will show you how it all goes back together if you want.

Best if you can come over some time.

That's very kind of you John and I would like to take you up on the offer. Are you around Sunday?

I'm popping down to Basingstoke to see Alan and can come over your way either before or after.

Drop me an email with address and time to my Gmail address if you could.

Cheers

i am sure someone could do it locally for you that what it will cost to post to me and back, but the offer is there

is the shaft damaged apart from the thread pulled out ?

Hi Dave

Thanks for the offer but hopefully I'm covered now :)