Fingers Crossed For Saab

Joel

I know this isn't particularly loyal to the struggling British motor industry at the moment, but I thought I'd give Saab a mention as their future is looking shaky tonight.

I've had a couple of classic 900's in the past, and I think Saab are one of the few companies with a bit of character and individuality in the 'mainstream' car market. That individuality might have been diluted by GM through the 90's, but it seemed they'd turned a corner recently and have a strong product range to genuinely rival the German stuff. They seem to have a constant turnover of really exciting concepts too - just a shame GM never gave them the financial backing to put a few into production!

Anyway, I for one would be very sad to see them go. Long live Saab! B)

I've got a 2004 9-3 convertible Aero as a daily driver and I'll be sorry to see them go down. I have to say though it is only a Vectra C with a different body and a turbo on the engine, not as well built as its German rivals.

I do like it though :D

My 9.5 Turbo Estate was the most comfortable driving position I ever had, did Austria and back with a full load and never felt tired once.

I agree they have character, even though mechanically its mainly GM bits, but thats business for you.

Would be sorry to see them go, but don't hold your breath, those Americans look after their own first. I know......I was just such a casualty a few years ago . Don't like em now, and don't trust em.

Guest outtolunch

I'm wondering if the UK car plant 'at risk of closure' in the news could be Vauxhall, as I caught a new item on the radio yesterday about Opel needing government help and think it could be that GM is trying to offload all its european opperations

Guest Dan_Beeston

I would suspect Vauxhall at Elsemere Port, GM have made some very interesting statements recently. They want to keep GM Europe (need the products for the current American market), but are threatening to cut 20+ thousand jobs outside the US and move manufacturing out of 'high cost' countries.......