Ramps.....

Guest john

Guest erichetherington

If you are really using bricks please stop immediately they have been known to just shatter without warning and we have far too few members already.

Sorry to be serios for a moment.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smack that man with a stick of soggy rhubarb--bricks are only load bearing when they have a mortar bed in between to spread the load--if you're going the trad.route use blocks of wood;just make sure base dimensions are greater than height--WOOD=GOOD.

Guest erichetherington

Let's just say that I don't like funerals, may well get away with it on something as light as a Hood. But if people start using piles of bricks under a tin top that may weigh up to a couple of tons they are asking for trouble. :(

I've got away with it in my youth but could move a lot faster then ;)

I Fully and sincerely agree with you Eric. I'm always nagging my sons to NOT do the sort of unsafe things that I got away with when working on cars.

Is it age that makes me so aware of the risks I once took ??

Ive made some similar ramps when I was restoring my MK1 MR2.

The only problem with mine is the 2B has a narrower front wheel center compaired to the rear.

One of the best things I have made though

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/t...os/IMG_1087.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/t...os/IMG_1084.jpg

Real nice mate methinks

Ian........... Ive been sussed

Guest outtolunch
Smack that man with a stick of soggy rhubarb--bricks are only load bearing when they have a mortar bed in between to spread the load--if you're going the trad.route use blocks of wood;just make sure base dimensions are greater than height--WOOD=GOOD.

I will consider myself well and truley smacked, in fact I have never used bricks under a vehicle, except when nicking a set of alloys of course ( only joking especially if enforcer is reading ) and last year when lifting the camper to remove the gearbox not only had it supported on heavy duty axle stands but the wheels jacked up and pieces of railway sleeper under to take some of the load off the stands as I once had a cheap stand start to buckle when in use.

I,m going to make some thing similar to these.

http://www.carstages.co.uk

I,m sick of my back and knees hurting after working on my 2b. :lazy:

Dan

Always reminds me of the RH build video.

<enter Richard stage laft>

"And NEVER use Milk crates"

<cut>

<new scene starts of chassis balanced on milk crate>

:D

Guest Jabberwocky

the only thing that worries me about all these rotating ramp designs is that how much effort it takes to knock them over. as in all it would take is for a tight nut and a bit of effort put into it and the whole car rotates the ramps.