Mountyney Steering Wheel

Guest Pete B

:unsure: Hi. guys

Iwant to replace the steering wheel , i find the 11" just a bit small, what i would like to know if i bought a 13" sports wheel wih a smaller boss would it fit the super spec steering column, has any one gone down this road.

Pete

Guest chris brown

Iwant to replace the steering wheel , i find the 11" just a bit small, what i would like to know if i bought a 13" sports wheel wih a smaller boss would it fit the super spec steering column, has any one gone down this road.

Pete

You need to buy a boss to fit the column. So first of all you need to know what tin top the column was sauced from, but there are other options, first you could go for another Mountney so as to keep the same screw pitch and use your present boss or do as I have done and turn up an adapter to fit the Mountney boss and the new wheel (I did this because I'm a cheap skate and in any case its nice to make bits yourself)

BTW you may find a 330mm wheel just a bit too big try one before you buy. Even if it is only a circle of ply taped on to the present wheel then try getting in and out and operating the pedals, especially the clutch as you will be surprised how much more restrictive it is with a wheel just a couple of inches bigger

Pete

Hi Pete

Yes, got one off fleebay with the small boss (flange) just unbolted about 8 small bolts and the new one bolted on in it's place no probs but as you say the boss is smaller than alot on the market.

I found the 11" wheel a bit small for me too but loads seem happy with them.

HTH

Steve

PS

I think the new wheel is about 12"

Guest duncjuno

Hi Pete, I did the same as Bob and just replaced the steering wheel for a bigger Mountney as I couldn't get on with the 11" either, so managing to keep the orginal Mountney boss. I also noticed that if I had changed the Boss as well I would have had to do something about the column shroud as well, as many of the other aftermarket ones tend to be a much samller Boss than the Mountney.

Duncan

Hi Pete, I did the same as Bob and just replaced the steering wheel for a bigger Mountney as I couldn't get on with the 11" either, so managing to keep the orginal Mountney boss. I also noticed that if I had changed the Boss as well I would have had to do something about the column shroud as well, as many of the other aftermarket ones tend to be a much samller Boss than the Mountney.

Duncan

Hi Guys, The steering wheel i had in mind was the 13" mountney extreme using the mountney M series boss which has a 70mm pitch compared to the larger one supplied with the kit, what i really would like to know is which steering column did Robin Hood sports cars use for the 05 super spec.

Peteautoimagination_co_uk.htm

• 1 month later...
Guest N1CK2B

Pete,

Not sure if this helps but I am in the process of replacing mine with a flat bottom wheel to give better 'access'....rather than a bigger dia wheel.

Nick