Modified Engine And Fuel Pumps.....

Guest Rich

Can anyone offer any advice on fuel pumps please.

The engine I have fitted is a modified pinto, 2.1L, stage 3 head, fast road/race cam, lightened and balanced etc, I'm waiting for a pair 45 webber carbs to arrive and was just wondering about the fuel pump, I suspect I'm going to have to up grade from the standard pump on the pinto engine or will it surrfice ? If I do need to upgrade can anyone recommened any particular make or model.

Are there any sites / books I can look at to find out what to do with all the gubbins (for want of a better word) that were connected to the original carb/manifold......things like the vaccume advance on the dizzi and the pipe that goes to the servo....etc

Anything else I need to consider upgrading/changing ?

Thanks again folks

Rich

My twin 40's work very happily on the standard mechanical fuel pump. Vacuum advance is simply disconnected. There should be drilled and tapped holes in the manifold for the servo take off and the heater return. You will have to fix an oil catch tank. You need to remove the sprung plate valve in the the metal fixing of the crankcase pressure relief pipe. Easily done by grinding a couple of mm's of the end so that the valve falls out. If you don't do this oil gets out of the filler cap, dipstick tube, crankshaft seals, etc. If there is room under the bonnet you can fit an oil filler cap with a pipe takeoff and pipe that to the catch tank as well.

An old fashioned points dizzy (off a pinto cortina or capri)with bob weights inside allows you to adjust the ignition advance curve to compensate for the loss of the vacuum advance and it can be converted to electronic with a magnetronic kit from Lumenition or go the whole hog and get an aldon electronic distributor suitable for a pinto.

I think thats about it!

Nigel

p.s. you expecting about 140ish at the wheels?

Edited by Longboarder

Guest paul mercer

i've got a brand new facet fuel pump which i 'obtained' for my car. i then realised that it is absolutely no good, as i need 5 bar for injection, not 0.5 bar. you're welcome to it for as measly sum if you want. i'll be at detling if you're interested. if not, any other takers?

can prob get external injection pumps as well if anyone interested (used minimally) £25 ish