Freewheel And Clutch

Guest Duncan Venn

Guest Duncan Venn

I've more-or-less finished rebuilding a 2L pinto and am about to fit freewheel, clutch and gearbox on. The ancillaries on my old 1.6 are in better condition than those that came off the 2L and the gearbox splined shaft fits onto my 1.6's clutch but not the one from the 2L.

Beyond the different splined shaft, is there any other difference between the 1.6 and the 2L clutch & freewheel? Is there any reason why I shouldn't fit the bits that were on my 1.6 onto the 2L?

Duncan

Guest chris brown
I've more-or-less finished rebuilding a 2L pinto and am about to fit freewheel, clutch and gearbox on. The ancillaries on my old 1.6 are in better condition than those that came off the 2L and the gearbox splined shaft fits onto my 1.6's clutch but not the one from the 2L.

Beyond the different splined shaft, is there any other difference between the 1.6 and the 2L clutch & freewheel? Is there any reason why I shouldn't fit the bits that were on my 1.6 onto the 2L?

Duncan

Later 1.6's used the same 215mm clutch as the 2.0's I also think they used the same flywheel (which i assume is what you meant when you put freewheel unless you are thinking of fitting a Saab 95 system)

Guest Duncan Venn

Sorry, yes flywheel - bit of a brain fart!

The box is a 5 speed (type 9? - the one that has reverse fwd left) and I'm pretty certain it came off a 92 1.8 CVH originally. The spline fitted onto my 'old' 1.6L engine (1987), which came with clutch attached, but does not fit onto the clutch that came with my 'new' 2.0L (1986)

Duncan

Guest chris brown
Sorry, yes flywheel - bit of a brain fart!

The box is a 5 speed (type 9? - the one that has reverse fwd left) and I'm pretty certain it came off a 92 1.8 CVH originally. The spline fitted onto my 'old' 1.6L engine (1987), which came with clutch attached, but does not fit onto the clutch that came with my 'new' 2.0L (1986)

Duncan

Strange as I thought the CVH used the same 8.5" plate and g/box as the 2l pinto where as the 1.6 pinto used a 7.5" plate that did have different splines and the g/box had a lighter i/p shaft

Guest Duncan Venn

Chris,

It is possible that I'm mistaken about the origin of the gearbox. I got most of my parts from a fairly new but rolled sierra back in 96, and I thought I'd kept the gearbox but since it's over a decade ago I can't be sure, so you may be right.

What is certainly the case is that the clutch off the 2L doesn't fit onto the gearbox splines, whereas the one off my 1.6 does. The external dimensions appear the same, so is there any obvious reason why I can't use the 1.6 clutch plate on the 2L engine, or do I need to change the gearbox input shaft?

Duncan

Guest chris brown
Chris,

It is possible that I'm mistaken about the origin of the gearbox. I got most of my parts from a fairly new but rolled sierra back in 96, and I thought I'd kept the gearbox but since it's over a decade ago I can't be sure, so you may be right.

What is certainly the case is that the clutch off the 2L doesn't fit onto the gearbox splines, whereas the one off my 1.6 does. The external dimensions appear the same, so is there any obvious reason why I can't use the 1.6 clutch plate on the 2L engine, or do I need to change the gearbox input shaft?

Duncan

No reason at all as far as I can see. Don’t go changing the I/P shaft unless you want to that is. ;) ;) I've just fitted a Transit plate on to an Isuzu 3.1 turbo diesel mated to a MT75 Transit box and fitted it into a Ford Explorer so you see mix and match isn’t a problem.

Duncan, have you removed the plates to compare them? Should just be a question of counting the splines in the hub of each and the splines on the input shaft of the box.

Just had the thought that if the seller of your 2L engine has not aligned clutch plate in the centre of the flywheel then you could struggle all day and not marry up the engine to the gearbox.

Nigel

Re-read you post as in 'just finished rebuilding' so you have. So you have! :unknw:

Some 1.6's had a smaller diameter clutch and 5/8" x 20 spline g/box input shaft as opposed to the type 9's 1" x 23 spline. These typically were the old 4 speed type 3 boxes, so its a bit confusing that it doesn't fit.

Its possible that the previous 2l owner had it mated to a 4 speed type 3 box as you can get a special plate of 2 litre diameter but the 5/8" spline (I fitted one of these on my old S7 when converting from 1.6 to 2l but on a 4spd box).

If your old clutch plate is same diameter as 2l then I'm sure it would be fine to fit, If its smaller diameter then you could fit the 1.6 flywheel/clutch combination but if you ever tune it you may find its not quite up to the job.

Good luck

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone I have the same problem as this, an'89 type 9 gearbox and my newly reconditioned '85 2.0 205 block pinto. I can upload some pics later what is the definitive answer for what clutch kit to buy? Cheers, Jon

• 2 weeks later...
Guest joni

Right I have some pics now so maybe this will help... think i need a standard 2.0 clutch but i'd like to check. The splined shaft has got 23 splines on it. Suggestions much appreciated! Cheers, Jon

post-1228-1241296966_thumb.jpg

post-1228-1241296979_thumb.jpg

post-1228-1241297001_thumb.jpg

Guest Tdci_Boy

Are there any numbers/names on either the clutch or the Clutch cover, the gearbox might have an aluminum tag somewhere on it, else some numbers in the castings :)

Use the best plate which fits the g/box.Best cover as long as it fits the 3pins on the flywheel.Then you need the right bearing! There are lots of bits for the pinto its just a matter of mix and match lots of combinations.Check the spiggot bearing. And the bigger the plate the longer it shold last

jon HTH