Pinto Gearbox

Guest bettinson2005

Guest bettinson2005
:hi: i am not having much look this week :cray: first i was getting marks on inside of tyres (now fixed use spacers) then new carb getting flat spots? (having rolling tune hopefully fixed) now i am having problems getting first gear :unknw: i can get 2 3 4 5 & R its just first? it will select first when first setting off. but when you stop and want to go into first it will not always go? then other times it will first time :unknw: any ideas cheers carl :good: (gear box type????????)

Guest yokel

Hi,

Fairly common fault with some ford boxes, well actually not the box, the spigot bearing, causes the input shaft to drag and prevent first gear engagement at a standstill. easy repair, well sort of!

Tony

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Carl

It's begining to sound more and more like syncro on 1st is begining to show sign of old age.

When stationary try selecting 2nd then 1st, doing this will stop the gearbox spinning and MAY make selecting 1st easier.

Full box strip by the way to replace the syncro hubs and rings.

Guest bettinson2005
Hi Carl

It's begining to sound more and more like syncro on 1st is begining to show sign of old age.

When stationary try selecting 2nd then 1st, doing this will stop the gearbox spinning and MAY make selecting 1st easier.

Full box strip by the way to replace the syncro hubs and rings.

:cray: no dont say that? yes if i select second then go for first it goes straight in? :crazy: looks like i will be looking for another box????? cheers :good:

Guest Ian & Carole
Select 2nd and then 1st seems like the best solution :D

Then a gearbox when it really goes wrong.

Andy

Yep thats what I would do also.

The box is built proof and will last for ages without failing.

Got all the summer to find one.

Martin P on here had one for sale a few weeks ago.

Here you go http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=21685

Have a quick look in the for sales.

The guys at BGH recommend a cheap GL4 oil for the type 9.

The more common GL5 is too slippery to let the synchro work properly.

Not being able to select 1st is a common problem if you use a better quality oil.

You can always get reverse because the cogs are spinning slowly enough to allow the gears to mesh.

They supplied me with 2 litres of "COMMA High performance synthetic gear oil SX75W-90 GL4"

for my new box.