Speed Limits

Guest Tweedy

Guest Tweedy

I hear that the Dept of Transport is floating the idea of reducing the speed limit on country roads from 60 to 50mph.I suppose this is down to a small number of stupid bikers.What a shame this would be.As ever we all have to be penalised for the actions of a few.

Guest Geordiebarry

I find from experience that speed limits only apply in the vicinity of speed cameras and police cars :D :D

Only been caught twice in 30 years so I guess maybe I don't speed too often.

I was always told that there is not penaly for speeding, the penalty is for getting caught!!! :D

Guest Alan_builder

I know,

Lets get 2 Jags to start a petition! :o

I live only 45 mile from parliament. The A & B class roads all have 30/40/50 limits and only occasionally the unrestricted (pun) 60MPH bit. There are too many of you using my road!!!! :p

When I was taught to drive (ok Jesus was a boy) it was ground into me, only to drive at a speed for which I could determine the stopping distance was less than twice the distance I could see.

This works just so long as the P****** oncoming is driving to the same standard. :hi:

So lads there is no need for a speed limit! Sorry except in unsupervised child play areas.

I :wub: my :rhsc:

Guest a8dyc
Next news will be 70mph at Brands Hatch

That may seem silly but i used to work at some of the race circuits that had anti-tyre squeel restrictions on them.Not for race meetings but for company corperates and driving schools etc.

MAD :o

I've seen this locally where roads were dropped from a national limit to 50mph. The original problem was that some clowns were ingoring the 60 limit and sticking their cars into the scenery or other road users. Problem is that the same idiots ignore a 50 limit just as easily as a 60 sign so they are STILL sticking their cars into the scenery and other road users. The only people who are affected are those of us who do stick to the limits and actions like this are simply making us more and more likley to ginore the limits as they become less and less sensible. Most of us will be fine since we drive within common sense and even if we're breaking the posted limit we won't be driving dangerously but some f us will be stung by the scameras. It seems more and more like points on your license are a matter of time rather than an indication of the standard of your driving.

Iain

Guest Jabberwocky
When I was taught to drive (ok Jesus was a boy) it was ground into me, only to drive at a speed for which I could determine the stopping distance was less than twice the distance I could see.

This works just so long as the P****** oncoming is driving to the same standard. :hi:

On a similar not I was always told to drive as if you where gonna meet yourself coming the other way

Guest erichetherington

Jabberwocky,

The way I heard it was

Q "What would you do if you met yourself coming the other way?"

A "Pass on the wrong side of the road!" :D

Guest timswait
I've seen this locally where roads were dropped from a national limit to 50mph. The original problem was that some clowns were ingoring the 60 limit and sticking their cars into the scenery or other road users. Problem is that the same idiots ignore a 50 limit just as easily as a 60 sign so they are STILL sticking their cars into the scenery and other road users. The only people who are affected are those of us who do stick to the limits and actions like this are simply making us more and more likley to ginore the limits as they become less and less sensible. Most of us will be fine since we drive within common sense and even if we're breaking the posted limit we won't be driving dangerously but some f us will be stung by the scameras. It seems more and more like points on your license are a matter of time rather than an indication of the standard of your driving.

Iain

Exactly, agree completely. If you're someone who ignores a 60 limit and drives way too fast then you'll also ignore a 50 limit and still drive way too fast.