Am I The Only Person To Put A Pinto In A Lightweight?

peter_m7uk

Oh dear, more problems with things that don't fit!

When I bought my Lightweight kit back in late 2005, I got a special Pinto 4-1 exhaust with it (or so I thought).

I finally came to actually fitting this exhaust recently, when I realised that it was the wrong one!! I compared

my exhaust with the one in the instruction DVDs and realised that it was a bit different. The one I had in fact

been supplied was for the 2B and no amount of fettling would get it to fit!

So I contacted GBS and was told that the exhaust in the DVD was a one-off (?) and I would have to get a Zero

exhaust which exits out of the bonnet rather than the engine bay side panel. But I'd already cut the hole in the

side panel :( They had a look to see if they could find the one-off, but it was long gone, so I took it on

the chin and arranged to swap for a Zero exhaust.

Yesterday, I took the Zero manifold down to the garage, hoping to crack on with the build, when I realised that

it didn't fit either! In fact, it's probably further away from fitting than the 2B one!! I have now been supplied

two exhausts which were supposed to be for my car and neither was anywhere near, so what am I supposed

to do now?! :blink:

Just wondering if anyone out there is sitting with a Lightweight with Pinto installation? If I'm not the only one,

what did you do about the exhaust???

I can barely believe it really. I mean, the Lightweight is presented on the DVD with a Pinto as the *standard*

installation. How can GBS not give me the standard exhaust?!!!! Over the years, the Pinto has been far and

away the most popular kit car engine, yet they made a one-off for the DVD and appear to have no records of

how to make another one!!! I just don't get it :unknw:

When I spoke to Richard at GBS, he did suggest that they could make one, but only if they had the car to measure

against. Well, I live 200 miles from Nottingham and I don't have a trailer or a vehicle with a towbar. At rental

prices, it would cost me a fortune to go there and back twice to drop it off, then pick up when ready. Although,

considering that it's their mistake, I think they should offer to drive down and pick it up themselves!! :good:

I'm going to speak with them again tomorrow, to see what we can work out. If that fails, what did everyone else

do about their exhausts?

Yours frustratedly,

Pete :aggressive:

try dropping GDC a message he may be able to help you dont know if he has done a lightweight with a pinto but he might be able to point you in the right direction.

GBS are unlikeley to come and mesure up for one as they tokover the company and so have no obligation to sort out things prior to there taking over but you may find if you talk to them and explain things a solution can be found.

hope you get it sorted soon

hi pete

i have a pinto in the daughters car , it has an over the top manifild as that was all i could get at the time .

mayby you could get richard to exchange the latest one for an over the top type .

re the hole in the side , an exra air vent wouldnt go amis ,mayby a bit of mesh on the inside and

some trim arround the openining mayby?

just an idea ?

graham.

hi pete

i have a pinto in the daughters car , it has an over the top manifild as that was all i could get at the time .

mayby you could get richard to exchange the latest one for an over the top type .

re the hole in the side , an exra air vent wouldnt go amis ,mayby a bit of mesh on the inside and

some trim arround the openining mayby?

just an idea ?

graham.

Good to know that it has been done before! I sent you a personal message.

Cheers,

Pete

Guest zoomzoom

I did it as well

lightweight%20pics%20053.jpg

lightweight%20pics%20038.jpg

GBS did do a over the top mainfold for the lw but i went for a ebay special at less than half the price, it came from a stylus i think.

I also had a bag of pipes to make up a manifold to fit as described in the dvds. Infact i still have it and used a pipe on the zero to run coolant from the bottom hose to the rad!

hope this helps

Guest zoomzoom

Just found a picture of baxter sitting on the car from the dvds in the old showroom and you can see the over the top manifold just behind him.

this had been retro fitted to this car as the hole was still in the side where the old exhaust exited.

As I think back I seem to remember that I asked if I could buy the side exit manifold (the one from the dvd) but was told someone had asked before me and it was now gone!!

It was on one of those open days they had at the factory. Shame they dont have the pattern for them anymore

Marcus

baxter%20021.jpg

Just found a picture of baxter sitting on the car from the dvds in the old showroom and you can see the over the top manifold just behind him.

this had been retro fitted to this car as the hole was still in the side where the old exhaust exited.

As I think back I seem to remember that I asked if I could buy the side exit manifold (the one from the dvd) but was told someone had asked before me and it was now gone!!

It was on one of those open days they had at the factory. Shame they dont have the pattern for them anymore

Marcus

baxter%20021.jpg

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for that. I suppose there must be lots of over the top Pinto exhausts out there, but I'd be wary in case I ended up with a 3rd

one that didn't fit! I'll see what's out there. I'm afraid the picture from the old showroom didn't display - Could you try to post it again,

or send it to me in a personal message? Would be handy to send it to GBS and ask "Can you do another one like that?" !

Cheers,

Peter