Chrome Plating

Guest stevie b

Guest stevie b

I am considering having my roll bar crome plated (decorative finish ). I am concerned about getting an even coverage given the size of it. Has anyone else had this done, and how much did it cost?

Did you have to spend a long time preparing the surface?

Did it last?

I've never had anything this size chromed and the place I used has since stopped doing chrome so I can't answer as to the current size of their tanks and price. To answer your other questions in one - the longer you spend on the prep the better the finish and the longer it will last (also the more of the prep you can do the less they will have to do and so the lower the cost). Basically the best bet is to find a local place and talk to them - try to get a feel for the quality of the job they will do as there are cowboys in any industry.

The husband of a girl who works here (MBDA Lostock nr Bolton) runs, or used to run a plating business. I'll enquire and post some details if he's amenable (I found out just too late that he'd galvanised a spitfire chassis - I had gone too far to strip the 2B and have him do the same for it). Don't know if you're near enough for it to be of use but the north-west crew may be interested.

Iain

Guest trickytiker

hi

not long had some chroming done not easy around merseyside to find eny body to do it and thay can take about 6 weeks and i wasent to happy with the finish :boohoo: :gdit:

Guest Keith L

I don't know where you are Steve but I had my grill done locally here in Kent and the quality and finish is excellent. He does work for Caterham and he turned my work round in 24 hours.

It all boils down to two things, preparation, as Ian says. Chrome will not cover up scratches etc.

Then it's down to the actual chroming process, and how long it's left in the 'bath' you get a thickness of 0.001" for every hour, that's all. (That's why you don't polish chrome with solvol autosol too many times!)

There's good chromers, and there's bad chromers! I hope you get a good 'un.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stevie b

Thanks for all your comments. I live in Newcastle and work in Middlesbrough. I have had a company in Middlesbrough recommended to me, I'll let you know how it goes.

regards

Steve