Exhaust Mounting

Guest kleighton

Guest kleighton

Evening all,

I've done a quick search, but didn't find what I was looking for.

I've got the RH supplied twin pipe exhaust, and am looking to build the mounting bracket this weekend.

I've got a couple of the rubber "bobbins" and intend to mount them vertically. Does anyone have any pics or advice on how they made a bracket please ? Does the bracket have to be secured to the chassis (2b by the way).

Any help is, as always, much appreciated,

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith,

i didnt want to mount through the body panels, so for my 2b i welded a bracket 40mm x 6mm bar onto the seirra subframe arm (where the big bush is bolted up through the floor) so it stuck out far enough to put a cotton reel bush sitting on this. From memory ( i did this 3/4 years ago now) the RH twin pipe has a piece of angle welded to it, i welded a steel square on the bottom of the angle and drilled a hole for the cotton reel bush to come up through. So basically the exhaust sits on an arm sticking out from under the car. You will need to trim the top of the angle away as it failed SVA for mine as it was contactable.

HTH

Guest kleighton

Thanks Zed

I was thinking something along those lines but wasn't sure if I was allowed to weld to the subframe or not. I don't think the bracket is holding a great deal of weight is it?

You're right, there's a piece of angle welded to the box that I can mount from. I can bolt a smaller piece of angle to that so that my bobbin is vertical. Is one bobbin enough?

Thanks for you're help Zed.

Keith

Yep my setup is similar to Bob's (looks like hes bolted angle to the floor where i have welded to the subframe), just one bobbin. Not sure whether vertical is better or not to be honest i just thought it was better to sit on it as it will be less stress on the rubber (no downward shearing force).

Guest kleighton

Cheers Bob,

That's the kind of thing that I wanted to see. I'll be able to get something sorted like that.

My bobbin will be mounted in the same plane as Bob's picture.

Right, I've got an idea in my head of what I need to do now, thanks very much. Whether it turns out like that, we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks again,

Keith

Hi Keith,

Yes, vertical is best. I did something similar for mine, which is mounted front and back. It's a big exhaust and I wanted to keep it as low as possible. So, for me, there's another bobbin underneath on the rear mounting setup for mine to stop it even thinking of twisting. Probably OTT but it's rock solid. Check out the pics on My Website. Lot's of solutions as usual, but you should have enough ideas by now eh?

Guest pwlcarz

Is it perceived wisdom that it's best to mount the exhaust bracket firmly to the body or to hang it looser like production cars?

I used to have the exhaust mounted using a couple of small rubber bobbins (horizontal mounting) but suffered a lot from a nasty 'rasp' (that's RASP not RASH!!!) on the overrun, plus vibration coming through the side panel of the car.

I'm now running the car with a softer mounting having fabricated an 'L' bracket and suspending the exhaust from it. I've suffered problems with the exhaust moving and coming into contact with the body on occaisions but hopefully have solved this now.

My reasoning was that if the exhaust is mounted too firmly, any movement of the engine would also afffect the exhaust so could lead to failure of the bobbins or even (worst case) cracking or weakening of the manifold welds/bolts?

Please feels free to shoot me down in flames if the logic is incorrect!

Guest RichardO
My reasoning was that if the exhaust is mounted too firmly, any movement of the engine would also afffect the exhaust so could lead to failure of the bobbins or even (worst case) cracking or weakening of the manifold welds/bolts?

That is my thinking as I noticed a weld on mine had a big crack in it last night.

Since I've had the car I have never had a decent join between the manifold and the silencer. I've made various attempts at sorting this but none of them have worked, now with a new silencer and some stainless flexi exhaust on the way, it should be sorted properly for the first time. Just a new bracket to support the front pipe of the silencer to fabricate.

Rich...

Guest pwlcarz
, now with a new silencer and some stainless flexi exhaust on the way,

That was my next thought, a flexible joint between the manifold pipe and the silencer. Decent ones seem quite expensive though.

Guest RichardO
would you care to expand on the term flexi pipe and some details!? Me and my Dad have the same non seal problem on both our RH's

Not sure if it will be up to the job or not (although it should last longer than a 10 minute run), but I've ordered one of these which will be clamped to both silencer and manifold. On mine the silencer would need supporting at the front end.

Rich...