Sump Too Low

Guest JBRobinhood

Guest JBRobinhood

HI Guys

Im new to the site and the world of Kit cars

We have just bought a Robin Hood 2b with a 1.6 Sierra Engine in BUT we have found the sump is very very low and wondered if anyone knew of a way of replacing it with a smaller one or modifying it???

Can anyone give me any advice please....

Thanks

Jim

Hi and welcome,

you'll find pretty much everything you need to know here

http://nw.rhocar.org/sump.htm

basically you need to chop off the bottom and weld a plate across, and also shorten the pick up pipe. i did it last year to mine, i didnt add any additional capacity either and havent had any probs so far as its just a 1.6 like yours and is not tuned or anything special. just keep the oil to the max on the dipstick and you'll be fine.

hope that helps

I have a alloy sump on mine and had it shortend by a firm called fusion engineering he charged me £90 but I think that was cos it was alloy. I had my first one done at work, if you can weld its not a hard job to do.

Paul.

Guest JBRobinhood

Cheers guys appreciate your help!

Gunna see if i can tackle it.... I live in Ripon, North Yorkshire is anyone near by for advise if i screw it up haha

Jim

If you don't have a cross member under the sump you can extend the sump pan forward instead of to the side making it easier to get the sump bolts in and out.

Make sure your pickup is the correct distance off the bottom of the sump, i think about 3mm

It is worth considering putting a sump baffle in at the same time

Guest Barryking

I am new to the site and kit cars to this was my first problem if you ring Richard down at great british sports cars at boughton near newark they will sort you out they have just made one for me last week you would proberly need to take your old sump and pick up as exchange.

hi again,

remembered that if your 2b is like mine and your engine is still in the car then you need to lift the engine slightly to get the sump off (as it wont clear the plough bar). I loosened the engine mount on the inlet side and bolted a block of metal to the 2 spare threaded holes below the distributor and then jacked the engine up on that. The sump was pretty solid on mine and gave it a hit with a rubber mallet, although i think it stll didnt come off and ended up levering off (which is a bad thing to do, check for flatness of you have to do this). Oh there is also a bolt right at the back behind the sump up by the bellhousing to engine support which is a bit hidden. HTH