2b Sliding Pillar Wishbone Conversion

Guest madasafish

Guest madasafish

Hi

I have just signed up and haven't read through all the threads to see if my questions have already been answered so sorry if so.

I bought my 2B in Sept 2000 and it has been lying untouched until I started building it this month. It came with the sliding pillar front suspension and i am looking to convert it to double wishbones. Can i still buy a conversion kit? Any advise from anyone that has done this? Also has anyone done a step by step build manual rather than the "supersonic" video instructions?

any assistance greatly appreciated

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Kenny

And welcome to this world of Robin Hoods.

Were are you???????????

You might have a hurd of RH owners on your door step willing to offer help.

The factory will supply or supply and fit a wishbone conversion for your car.

Give them a ring.

If you are a capable welder / fabricator you can do it your self.

I can confirm it is a well worth while conversion.

Thats my car in their website pictures, it was the first and I am more than pleased with the conversion.

If you haven't started your build yet, and are looking at about £800 to upgrade it to wishbones, have you considered changing the chassis for the later type suitable for wishbone suspension ? Ask the factory about buying just a chassis and the bone items,

Or Try ebay for a partbuilt and you'll get lots of other kit items I assume with it.

Guest dremmel1

Hello All

I spoke to GBS about this vey thing on thusday, £800 for a new chassis and he said chat with him and he'd sort out something with the shocks. £520 for the fit yourself wishbone kit. No contest really.

Alan

Hello All

£800 for a new chassis and he said chat with him and he'd sort out something with the shocks.

Alan

As long as the shocks are not "zimmers" Read the posts on shocks before you buy, otherwise you will end up buying 2 sets, one set now and a new proper set in 6 months time. :(

Steve

Guest madasafish

Thanks for all the replies you have given me a lot to think about

As long as the shocks are not "zimmers" Read the posts on shocks before you buy, otherwise you will end up buying 2 sets, one set now and a new proper set in 6 months time. :(

Steve

What shocks would you recommend?

can anyone advise me if these are the shocks supplied with the conversion kit? if so do you know of any other, better shocks that GBS sell? ie if i was to buy the kit and it was these shocks supplied as standard i would see if i could buy the kit and pay extra for a better alternative if this was an option.

i will be phoning GBS just trying to get as much info together 1st before i do so i know exactly what to ask

thanks again for all this valuable info

If you look at all the other posts on zimmers you will see the problems?

I Changed out my front coilovers after 350 miles because of no damping and worn bushes. Once off the car and the springs removed there was no compresive damping at all, rebound was a little better but compared to the Gaz shocks on setting 1 (of 36) they were Sh*te.

If Any one wants the zimmers I still have them and are free for collection but they would not even get through an MOT with the bushes.

Steve

Guest sadjagboy

The videos are part of the fun! :rolleyes: But there is a lot of good information on the web, again I would recommend Colin Usher's site, Joey Brown's and I often check out how Grizzly did something, I'm sure there are lots of others. Try the Links page above. You appear to be in Fife, so if you want to see my part built 2b sliding pillar car, PM me and we can arrange it.

Regards

Angus

Guest madasafish
The videos are part of the fun! :rolleyes: But there is a lot of good information on the web, again I would recommend Colin Usher's site, Joey Brown's and I often check out how Grizzly did something, I'm sure there are lots of others. Try the Links page above. You appear to be in Fife, so if you want to see my part built 2b sliding pillar car, PM me and we can arrange it.

Regards

Angus

not often you will read about these videos and see the word fun in the same sentence LOL. I have been checking out various sites and gathering some useful info but i just thought that someone might have done an actual paper build manual that could be read as you were building. not to worry i have dug out an old tv and dvd player to take to the garage and i have made some notes from web sites. I must remember not to take an ariel for the tv with me or the kit will be sitting for another 9 years LOL

I have decided to build the car using the sliding pillars and to convert it later. this will allow me to carry on with the build and save up for the coversion. i have almost completed the back end using the upturned macpherson struts but i will also convert this to coilovers through time. i know i am spending a lot of time on parts that will be launched later on but at least i see the car coming along and my motivation has never been better.

pm sent to sadjagboy regarding your offer of a visit, that would be great

thanks again for all your replies

hi Kenny, you will be ok with the sliding pillar my car is the same age as yours as i was too busy with other things for a while, so just get your head down and go for it. Mine has been on the road since Jan 2008 with no problems, just keep it well greased and it's ok. If I can be of any help just give me a shout.

All the best. Cheers, George.