S7 Failure No Chassis!

Guest The Stig

Guest The Stig

Hi there, i have just recieved my failure docs from our friends at VOSA, my S7 has failed because there is no sign of any chassis members on the monoque shell.

They were happy with the seat belt mountings but now want box section steel welded from the front suspension to the rear suspension, creating a so called chassis!

Has anyone else come accross this? if so how did you overcome this please <_<

Luckily i managed to get my car tested last Thursday, so now have 6 months under SVA regs for re-tests :D However all the guy kept telling me is that loads would fail under the new IVA. Just as well im running for SVA then (dont think he liked that very much)

Guest mikea

Was this an S7 or a lightweight ? If S7 I would imagine many monocoques have passed so difficult to understand. Was the tester confused about what variant it was ?

My series three monocoque passed with no issues.

Guest Ian & Carole

Might help others if you let us all know where you are and which station tested your car!!!!!!!!!

I feel sure we have had S7 pass without your "fail" point.

Todays Tin tops don't have a "chassis"

IVA is an unknown to all at the moment but I feel sure it will "come out in the wash"

Guest robinj66

My S7 passed at Gillingham in October last year.

It went through 3 separate testers and lots of things were picked up (on :D ) but there was no mention of a lack of chassis!

How do your testers think most production cars are constructed? The S7 "chassis members" are the box sections at the sides and the transmission tunnel once put together.

Guest The Stig
Might help others if you let us all know where you are and which station tested your car!!!!!!!!!

I feel sure we have had S7 pass without your "fail" point.

Todays Tin tops don't have a "chassis"

IVA is an unknown to all at the moment but I feel sure it will "come out in the wash"

It was at the Southampton station, he did not like the monocoque idea, prob only used to testing tubular frames. I think everything i have done waqs all ok, i just think that he had a bee in his bonnet about people rushing a car through SVA regs to avoild IVA ;)

Also failed cos my speedo read 70 when the car was actually doing 71!! any ideas please.

Guest The Stig
There's quite a few S7's & Exmo's passed SVA.... You must have got a grumpy tester. Is it as easy as re-testing at another station??

:)

Well i can re-test at another station but southampton is my closest living near to Portsmouth, so guess ill have to get some box section in there somewhere. It was the lightweights that first caused concern with VOSA, i think they are now as cautions with the steel models.

Guest The Stig
Was this an S7 or a lightweight ? If S7 I would imagine many monocoques have passed so difficult to understand. Was the tester confused about what variant it was ?

My series three monocoque passed with no issues.

Its a standard S7 zinguard steel body, also i think that it confused him as his first comments was 'Oh its not regular construction' :huh: I will have to talk to my superior!

Guest The Stig
My S7 passed at Gillingham in October last year.

It went through 3 separate testers and lots of things were picked up (on :D ) but there was no mention of a lack of chassis!

How do your testers think most production cars are constructed? The S7 "chassis members" are the box sections at the sides and the transmission tunnel once put together.

Thats what i thought, but he did not like the fact that the outer edges of the floors what would normally be the sills on a car, did not have a box section construction, so guess i will have to get some steelbox in there some how.

Also failed cos all the small nuts & bolts that hold the chassis togeather did not have lock nuts or lock washers on them.

Hi there, i have just recieved my failure docs from our friends at VOSA, my S7 has failed because there is no sign of any chassis members on the monoque shell.

They were happy with the seat belt mountings but now want box section steel welded from the front suspension to the rear suspension, creating a so called chassis!

Has anyone else come accross this? if so how did you overcome this please <_<

Luckily i managed to get my car tested last Thursday, so now have 6 months under SVA regs for re-tests :D However all the guy kept telling me is that loads would fail under the new IVA. Just as well im running for SVA then (dont think he liked that very much)

A couple of us built and SVA'd an old Series 7 a couple of years ago. The tester at the the SVA started making comment about the monococque, but when we mentioned we had previosuly tested a series 3 of basically the same contruction at the same centre last year, he backed down. If it wasn't for the fact we had both been around RH's for sometime it could have been quite easy to come away with a failiure sheet not too dissimilar to yours!

The fact cars have passed at a different testing station doesn't hold water (ala the lightweight), but it might be worthwhile finding out if other series 7 or 3 cars have passed at the same place - this might lend a little more credance to a possible complaint?

Guest Tim Norman

This is not the first time I have heard this. Nottingham have told a local member that it is a national thing now, The car needs to be .of a chassis design or a spaceframe. Obviously they are working on the idea that a monocoque designed by RS is not as good as one designed by Ford. In short any S7 not yet SVA'd will never pass unless it as made to look like a chassis.

Guest Stuartl

Yet another SVA horror story :o I really feel for the OP.

I have said it before but I am sure there are huge amounts of people unwittingly buying part-built kits from ebay that have a very slim chance of getting through an SVA, let alone the new IVA.

I certainly would never have bought my dismantled S7 if it hadnt have already been on the road and correctly registered as a Robin Hood Sportscar.

The fact that the construction and acceptability of vehicles submitted for SVA seems to be so open to the interpretation of the individual on the day makes it even harder to predict a pass or fail.

Guest bombhead

Hi

My s7 passed the sva in feb this year at the exeter test station.

The tester never made any comment about the chassis in actual fact he was very disappointed that he couldnt fail it on anything when he was looking underneath.

Good luck

Dan

Also failed cos my speedo read 70 when the car was actually doing 71!! any ideas please.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble getting through. A simple fix for the speedo problem is to get hold of a pair of wheels (only need to be on the back) which are a smaller rolling diameter. IE if you have 185/65/14 go to 185/60/14 and you will probably get through. this website will give you a better idea and show you how many sizes you need to go down compared to what you have at the moment.

http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html

hth good luck

Guest robinj66

One thing you could do is to commision your own engineer's report.

Alternatively, Appeal the decision of Southampton - you will have to pay the (full?) fee again but it will be tested at a different station.

Either way it's more expense and still an uncertain outcome.

One thing is for certain - you will need to use locknuts