Head , Efi Advice Please.

Guest jacobeon

Guest jacobeon

Hi folks,

This is my first post so I apppalojiz for any spelling mistakes now!!

I have a dilemma and hope you can help. I have a 1.8 pinto with a Pieburg carb (yuk ) the head has soft valve seats and the ems is the dreaded ESC II .

I want to go over to efi, dont know a lot about it , so advice please.

Will the 2ltr efi head go straight onto the 1800 block if I use a 2 ltr head gasket , coil , distributor and the EEC IV control system ?

Im not after high performance, just smooth running and reliability. I suppose a straight 2ltr efi swap would be the best solution, but the 1800 was such a good runner in the donor.

Also can anyone suggest a good place to stick the batte-- on 2nd thoughts forget that!!!!

Happy new year everyone.

Regards Alan.

Alan

You answered your own question! :huh:

a straight 2ltr efi swap would be the best solution
that way the exhaust will be on the right side...

And the battery goes in the front....everyone knows that :p

Dave

Alan, If you go EFI, you have the added problems of rewiring ing the ESC etc, for the fuel injection gubbins (Obviously easier to put in on initial build) plust you will either need to cut & shut the air chamber do-da, or cut a hole in your bonnent.

The other alternative is to get either a DGAV or a DGAS carb, a minifold to suite it, and use that on the 1800cc. Run the engine until you start getting problems, (probably about 2 - 3 years) meanwhile you can find a 2 ltr unleaded engine, ready to change it over, using the same manifold & carb etc.

And before everybody says that I'm getting at EFI, I'm not! there's nothing wrong with it, as there's nothing wrong with a carb set up either.

Guest Battery Bill

Daveq

And the battery goes

He didn't say battery he said batte ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bloody hell First post and he's straight in for the jugular, :p :p

Anyway Jackobean I agree with Jim (Again :blink: ) Keep your 1800 till you find a 2Ltr and go the whole hog including fitting your batte in a better place :D

The soft head thing is a load of crap its the easy way out for the motor manufacturers to say "Heads before this date are not suitable for unleaded"

Saves them doing lots of expensive testing <_< .

Guest jacobeon

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for the replies :D :D Looks like its decision time , i will see what turns up first.If i use the 2ltr head i will have to use the 2ltr head gasket with 1800 block, am i correct?

Bill, very sorry about the Jugular, i've put mine in the nosecone :p :p

Regards Alan

PS . How do i get the smily faces to appear?

Guest timswait

I'm not too expert on this, but I'm fairly sure the 2 litre head will fit on the 1800 block (and the exhaust is the same side on all pintos). However, the compression ratio may be changed, and also the 2.0 EFi head had better gas flow than the 2.0 carbed, so that might be a problem. Also if you use the EFi, the ECU is designed to run a 2.0 not a 1800, so the fuelling may be wrong. Basically it would probably run, but probably not too well, so you're probably best off either sticking with the 1800 or going for a full engine swap.

P.S I upgraded from 1.6 carbed to 2.0 EFi after a bout a year of driving and the EFi is great! :D