Performance

Guest lewis

Guest lewis

hi all im wanting to build a zero in the near future and as some of you might remember i have got my donor car not really started stripping it yet but have found out it has a 3.62 diff just wondering what kind of performance 0-60 top speed ect im looking to get from this diff/type 9 gearbox/ running tb's and either a 1.8l or 2.0l zetec??

also what would people say i look out for the 1.8l or the 2.0l??

where is the best place to pick one up from/do you rebuild or just chuck it in and sort any probs along the way?

many thanks, lewis.

Costs for fitting either a 1.8 or 2.0L are the same. No idea why anyone fits the smaller less powerful engine although at one time 2.0L engines were harder to get hold of and more expensive.

0 - 60 should be around the 6 second mark I would guess, possibly 6.5 since I fitted the 3.62 LSD. Top speed of 120+ in fifth on my speedo which is accurate (reads 70 at 70 on the rollers) but I lose my nerve and start thinking of all those bolts I haven't checked for tightness recently and slow down before something major falls off.

Nigel

Guest lewis
Costs for fitting either a 1.8 or 2.0L are the same. No idea why anyone fits the smaller less powerful engine although at one time 2.0L engines were harder to get hold of and more expensive.

0 - 60 should be around the 6 second mark I would guess, possibly 6.5 since I fitted the 3.62 LSD. Top speed of 120+ in fifth on my speedo which is accurate (reads 70 at 70 on the rollers) but I lose my nerve and start thinking of all those bolts I haven't checked for tightness recently and slow down before something major falls off.

Nigel

cool thanks for that,sounds not to shabby B)

The Zetec is a pretty solid engine and in second hand form is still virtualy wear free (in the bores) up to 200,000 miles, this info direct from Puma racing, if you can get an ST170 engine you would have very little to do to it, just fit and forget.

The gear train is important with two distinct camps, the 3.9 camp and the 3.6, have a hard long look at your engine red line, gearbox ratios, diff ratios and wheel and tyre combination.

The weaker point is the gearbox which is not realy close enough, the MT75 being worse than the type 9, i used a V6 type 9 which has a longer first and a slightly longer second gear, first stills feels a bit low with a 3.9 diff, second is better and third is very good.

I have (currently) a 285 cam with injection rods, the cam will trickle along at any low revs then go on to well over 7500 if needed however i find that i change below that, generaly 6500 to 6800.

I think if you have 150bhp or more then the extra torque produced will pull your 3.6 well and help the lower first and second gear.