Child Seat Regs

Guest robin

Guest robin

hi all,

anyone know the regs about children in an open topped 2 seat sports car? is a booster seat required if the car has a 4 point harness as no booster seat/child seat i have ever seen has been designed to accept a harness?

or simply a no go until they reach the minimum legal height and or age to not need one?

cheers robin.

Guest Jabberwocky

I think this question has been raised before and we did not get a proper answer. I have tried with a booster seat, but my lads legs where then at the same level as the side of the cockpit, so now he sits on the normal seat, I would just hope that if the police do stop me for it that they see sense on it.

Guest george_lincoln

I would have thought a 4 point harness has less issues than a conventional 3 point retractable belt with a child.

As far as I can tell, if i child is required to be in a child seat, because they are under 12, and under 135cm tall, then they MUST be in a UN ECE 44.03 (or later) approved restraint. A booster cushion should work ok with a 4pt harness.

Of course if your harness has the appropriate ECE approval, then its fine to use just the harness.

Guest robin

thanks guys,

i not only didn't want to have my collar felt but also don't want to place my little lad in any danger should the worst happen. think i'll play it safe and wait for him to get a little older/larger before taking him out in the hood (if i still have it then!)

robin

How old is he? I've been taking my lad out in the Hood in a full booster seat and the 4 point harness since he was just under 3, mind you he's a heavy lad and had made it up to the weight for a booster seat rather than a proper child seat.

Its rock solid with him in it and he absolutely loves going out in it! He even fell asleep on the way to Newark last year!

This is the first outing, he's a fair bit bigger now.

post-985-1241596232_thumb.jpg

post-985-1241597372_thumb.jpg

I tried my lad in mine hes 4 1/2 and quite tall for his age. I have Corbeau clubman seats and the 4 point seatbelt is a good fit across his waist and the harness holes in the seat do a similar job to a booster seat (booster seat wont fit). The only doubt I have is the shoulder straps may be too far apart and he may slip though in a accident, I was wondering if a strap could be used to pull the shoulder straps closer. It would be a real shame to wait til hes 11 before he can go in it?

Jez